Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though i had lots of people tell me not to buy the 650r as a first bike because of expensive plastics and such i went saturday and bought a shiny new '07 red one. I picked up a jacket,boots,helmet and gloves while i was there also..I am gonna be getting sliders put on it pretty soon. They had 2 red 07's left at the store..one with a scorpion slip on and the other with the standard exaughst..i listened to it and just decided to put out the extra $300 somthin for it..right now its freezing in north texas so i cant really ride without getting frostbit but i went out this morning and did a little riding..i drove the backroads to my school and drove there in the parking lot tryin to get the feel of the bike and get used to the throttle and such..ill be getting pics soon..all i got right now is the cam on my phone so i know these arent very good pics..but mica is beautiful

Any advice would be helpful..including which brand of sliders to buy or where i can maybe get a smaller seat as am 5'8 and having a little trouble getting my feet planted on the ground good. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Couldnt tell you what particular brand slider is best because in my opinion, they all work. Congrats on the bike, and please please be careful. Dont be like them other teens on there first big bike, dont get cocky with it and try to show off doing wheelies and speeding and such. Believe me, if you do, you wont have that bike for very long. There are places that speeding and wheelies are appropriate, (IE the track). That is a nice bike and would hate to hear that you destroyed it and you got hurt or killed for something silly. On a good note, that bike will be a blast to ride and there is nothing else in the world like riding a motorcycle. There is nothing more scarey or dangerous than a motorcycle (I mean the type of vehicle on the road) surrounded by cars and trucks and Semi's Always be on alert and never assume any one sees you. Even if they look you dead in the eye, assume they didnt see you. Let us know how that first long ride is when you get the chance. Riding up the road and back isnt nothing until you get on that highway and ride for a few hours. I must say I am impressed with you getting all the gear before you got on the bike. That was a good move. Most teens buy the bike, ride it and wait til later to get the gear, some dont make it long enough to get the gear. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sweet!! Be safe, get use to how it handles and have a great time on it. It will serve you well and the freedom of a good ride is second to nothing else

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
All I can say is don't drive like a jackass and you'll be fine. If you can't reach the ground you can shave the seat. Take the liner off and cut the foam.

I don't know why people are telling you not to start on a 650r. I think it's a great bike to start out on. My first bike is my 636 zx6r and people thought I was going to die in an hour. Props to you and don't listen to the people who are going to call you dumb becuase you can always tell them "what do you drive? Yeah that's what I thought! Shut it!"

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gratz on the bike, and welcome to the site. I have one question, how cold is freezing? It is -12F here in Wisconsin, I'm going for a ride later...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay first i just got done riding about 3 hours..which isnt really long but it was the funnest 3 hours iv had as long as i can remember..i started out not going over 40 lol(which a few people didnt like..im guessin they didnt like it because of the horns going off as they passed me lol) and ended up being able to go the 60 speed limit with confidence, not enough to speed or get 0-60 as fast as i can, just enough to know that im not gonna accidently pull the throttle too far.

i went through some really empty roads then hit a town and hit a little traffic..nothing bad, just a few cagers here and there..I did the whole 3 hour trip with no problems except the one time i got to a stop sign and forgot to shift down to first(i was in 3rd) and stalled with like 5 cars behind me:icon_frow ..pretty scary but i came out okay..i went and practiced coming out of stops for about 30 minutes in a little neighborhood with lots of stop signs, so i think that helped a lot

riding this long made me feel so good..i love the feeling of complete control over the bike..its so much different than driving a car..i got so much attention from random cagers and a few of the ladies who were walking lol..but yea i really want to learn to ride better before i actually start hitting real traffic so thats gonna be awhile..

and freeznig here is like 30-40 lol..it was about 50 when i went about today and i had on a few layers so i was pretty warm..i feel you though..i could never live somwhere that cold..im sorry for complaining about the weather here

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i took it and i passed easily. i made sure i would at least know the basics before buying one

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Learn the basics of chain lubing and adjusting as well as how to change your oil, and do it regularly. That'll make the difference between a bike that you can enjoy for years, and a rattletrap that you want to get rid of fast. ;)

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
lots of texas area people if you put out a page in the main lobby for some riders to help you get experience through riding together i'm sure someone would be willing to help. I would but i'm kinda out of the country at the moment. *iraq* lol

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Ohhh...i forgot to say... i am only 5'4" and i do not have my ZX6 lowered.... you will get used to using one foot... its better than tossing the geometry of the bike out the window.... The only thing i would do is take your seat to an upholstery shop and get them to shave it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my only problem is backing it up when im on a flat surface..im constantly scared my feet are going to slip when i am pushing it back

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you got some decent boots that will eliminate your slippage, unless your standing in a huge puddle of oil. Motorcycle boots are made for anti-slippage and will be good to you. Glad to see that you got a 650R. I was gonna have a 650R but things didn't work out right and I got my 250R, but still happy with it. Congrats on being able to ride. Still have to get tags and insurance for mine ><. But enjoy and the 650R will be very good to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dont think im ever gonna be standing in a pile of oil while im on the bike..or at least i hope not..guess ill just trust the boots then..thanks..is it a big deal that im takin the bike to 5k rpms on a regular basis..break in says not to go over 4k but i dont know if 1k rpms would do much..any info as to whether its going to hurt it or not?

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
I think you made a great choice for a first bike, Ace. Congrats on the purchase -be safe and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts