Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

First bike build. Bobber 800

31K views 123 replies 15 participants last post by  smithers 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been a long time creeper of everyones builds and decided this winter i am going to finally do some customizing. First off i love everything i have seen on your bikes and am so glad i found this site. I think it is awesome how open everyone is and i hope to be able to influence someone the way you have. So lets get to it. I am still a young man i turn 23 in a month and me and my wife have had quite a year, first time home owners this summer, so please be patient as i will probably not move very fast with my build. For some reason the wife thinks my money should go into finishing our basement. Before i can begin tearing down i am interested in some key parts. Does anyone out there possible have a solo seat and rear fender, or suggestions as to where i could find some good deals. Those are the first in my list of parts. Any help would be welcome. Talk to you soon

#2 ·
Welcome. Depends on how custom you are wanting to go. There are some pretty good deals on solo spring seats on ebay. You may just have to search for a while. Fenders have a large price range. Depending on how you are mounting it, you can probably find a used front fender off a bike with a wider front tire.

Good luck and post some pics.

#3 ·
I will certainly post as i build, hopefully i get to start soon. I was informed by my wife that we should get our couch before I spend the money on a seat....not happy. lol oh well thats life before hobby. I had a good week at work i might secretly order one later this week. Do you have any suggestions on that front fenders may work? i thought about a BCB kit, but thats a kit. I do not want a kit bike. thanks

#4 ·
6 inch wide trailer fenders are pretty easy to come by. You should be able to find one between 70 and 120 bucks on ebay, dimecitycycles.com, lowbrowcustoms.com etc.

better looking fenders with a rib will be a bit more expensive, and probably somewhat more difficult to mount if your inexperienced.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I found a fender off a harley bike on Ebay i am hoping i will win it anyway....i have to wait another 3 days....however i bought the wife a new microwave today and after about 6 beers and alot of bull**** me and my coworker got her mounted up nice and tight. so on to beer number 7 and i think me and the dog will go and remove the stock rear fender assembly. Xfiend and Rowdy, just want to say you have some awesome bike and I already plan to incorperate? some of your ideas so THANK you for posting.
On another not experience is not an issue with me i have all winter to work out problem good ol farm boy that i am...was...i think i can figure it out.

#7 ·
well i will try something else later. So far I have removed front fender, rear fender, windshield, seat, and something else. I think that i will lose the auction for the Harley fender i was going to use for my rear. So now i am toying with the idea of cutting up my factory classic front fender. I know it is plastic but it not like there will be weight on it and i work with plastics all the time at work so i think i could make it work. Just wondering if anyone out there has done it. i am still looking for a seat that i like and tonight i realized that i do not have the right tools. So one of these weekend i need to go to my dads and bring up my tool box its been in storage since i quite doing body work and started painting full time and i have not needed it till now.

#11 ·
sweet look at that. there is the start popped the seat and the speedo off.

then the front fender

the the rear, yes i know i took the fender off the hard way but i didnt have my tools i needed so i did it all the long hard way. Today i won my fender and it should arrive at the end of this week. so next i will be taking off the exhaust and my side covers and try to get my wires and crap tucked away alittle better. the i will take off the rear wheel. i need to find a jack to use. Not having all my tools is driving me nuts

#14 ·
If you decide to scrap your rear fender, please let me know. I might be interested in buying it. I've been riding on my 800a for a year now, and all that money I've been saving on gas is going to start going into some custom work. I think I want to start by changing out the rear fender to the 800b from the a. Let me know and good luck on the build!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
Hey one, there is a good chance i will sell my fender but probably not for a while yet.
So last night my coworker came over and we killed a bottle of whiskey and made some good progress. removed my fork cover tubes then reinstalled my forks. we also cut up my exhaust just the pipes now mufflers are gone hoping to extend them about a foot now and i will call it good for a while. My new/used fender showed up today looks bad *** so i will work on mounting it. i am thinking of doing some inner supports so i dont have a strut from the back of the fender down....again just thinking.
pics of progress.

#16 ·
just thinking down the road i plan to keep the stock tank i love the fat look of my bike. after i remove the air box under the tank and move the tank up about an inch or two...maybe...i am thinking of moving my electronics up under there. i think there will be room after i thin out the wiring but i just wondered what others thought. any other ideas? Also is there a smaller battery that will run a motorcycle

#20 ·
So i have decided that i am going to start with the wiring since i cannot spend money on new parts yet....wife wants the basement done ASAP lol oh well. i am going to start with eliminating wires i do not need and shortening to where i am going to mount parts now. If anyone has any tips advice suggestions please help. I am not good with this kind of thing, at all. so first off the capped wire connectors under the tank/speedo clust, what do they go to/used for? i assume add on accessories but i do not need those anymore right? also if anyone knows any connectors that i should not cut out let me know. I have unplugged alot with my bike running to see if any are supper important and i have not ran into anything unexpected. however i am removing all controlls on the handlebars and that is making me scratch my head. So there it is thats my next step i have lots of pictures to load just havent had the time. THANKS PLEASE HELP ANYWAY YOU CAN

#23 ·
I have a factory manual and i think i got it figured out. I really want to ditch my fan and temp sensor but i cannot for the life of me remember how often my fan kicks on in the summer. So they will stay for another year. i have eliminated all the open ends the factory leaves ditching my horn and horn button wires tonight. I think on monday i will order some toggle switches and a couple buttons for my starter, dimmer, blinkers {decided to keep them i found really cool single LED's. i will post a link later} I was wondering about eliminating the engine kill switch. i hear some of you have ran into issues when you did this and well what were they?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.