Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just pushed my "new" '91 Ninja ZX-6 into my driveway... :lol: Got it from my neighbor for free. A friend of mine also got a bike from the same neighbor ('82 Kawasaki GPZ-750) a couple months ago. Both bikes were not running, but my buddy got his bike running a couple weeks ago. (Electrical system was melted by a fuel fire). My Ninja has a good bit of surface rust on bolts/rear frame/brake rotors/chain etc as it has been sitting in a carport for a couple years... The oil and coolant have been drained. The battery still has a charge and the gauges and lights seem to be working. 8) The whole bike needs TLC!

Anywho, I just want to get the Ninja running and riding with the minimum amount of money. I washed it off with a garden hose. It isn't pretty, but I don't care.

My neighbor says that the #1 and #2 spark plug holes are stripped (he attempted to fix it with JB Weld, but apparantly It didnt work) How should I go about fixing this? Any good part sources online? Anything to look out for on this bike? Precautions?

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have never had to fix the spark plugs threads, maybe heli coil would work, hope somebody responds with a fix for you on that. some of the things I know you will have to do is clean and put a liner in the fuel tank, replace fuel filter, and clean the carbs very thoroughly to get it running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! Will check out the heli coil thing and the fuel system.

Some more info on the bike, it's got 31k miles on the odo- is that relatively high and something to worry about (rebuild soon)? Unfortunately I don't know much about the bikes' history... :cry:
I plan on doing a compression check before I go any further with this. Anyone know was kind of readings I should be looking for?

I removed the spark plugs (they were new), #1 and #2 are definetely stripped (would thread in, but wouldn't get tight). Also removed the valve cover. I'm going to have to remove the head, as some of the JB weld got down into the cylinders... :x Also, be easier to do the heli coil with the head off I think. I was told I need a special tool to remove the camshaft chain, so that I can remove the head. Any input on this and tips to remove the head?

How hard is it to remove the carbs for cleaning?

Also, read on the forum that some guys replaced their airboxes for individual K&N filters on each carb. Can I do that to my bike? Not liking the stock chicken wire and foam filter. :?

Sorry about all the Q's... Just really excited about hitting the road with this beast. :twisted:
I really need to pick up a shop manual...

Appreciate any help!

Matt

·
Registered
269 Posts
The carbs are easy to get off and clean, just pay attention to how the throttle and choke linkage is hooked up. If you use the K & N filters you will have to rejet the carbs which isn't hard and K&N sells the propper jets. I don't think you need a special tool to remove the heads, ya just gotta unbolt the cam sprockets and gently slide the cams thru the sprockets. Check on ebay you might be able to find a head that is in good shape. No prob with the questions, like helping, just not to familiar with the 600 as far as the head goes, but the carbs are the same on most all bikes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Make sure when you clean the carbs you do a really good job. I had mine off my '93 zx-6, and didn't get them all clean. Long story... had a dealer rebuild them and cost me $400.

P.S. I have a shop maunal for your bike if you're interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts