Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a new rider. I took the MSF course and got my liscense a couple of weeks ago. I had a total blast so now I'm looking at getting a bike.

I found a '92 ZX-600 D3 and put a deposit on it. It's getting the transmission rebuilt right now. When that's done I'll take it for a test ride. Assuming I don't scare the hell out myself I'll probably be buying it, but I have the option of not taking it.

So having just found this forum I thought I'd see what you guys think her as a starter bike. I'm 5'7" 165# and 32 yrs old if you want to know.

-Andrew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to admit: After browsing these boards a bit I was expecting a pile of replies telling me a 600 was too much bike to start on. Is a 12 yr old bike that much more controllable?

-Andrew

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Think it would have been a lot different 12 years ago ---when you were 20 and the bike was new.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Post the same thread with 2004 ZX-6R in there, and you'll get those responses. Personally, I don't know a lot of details about the bike you're talking about buying, but I would be willing to bet that it is mild in comparison to a the current supersport 600s.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope the bike works out well. Riding is a great source of enjoyment. Be safe! (Yeah, pictures too!)

8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its funny, because when I posted the similar question I got a lot of concern about my life and how the bike was too big. I guess age makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
ddocta said:
Its funny, because when I posted the similar question I got a lot of concern about my life and how the bike was too big. I guess age makes the difference.
The older 600's have quite a bit less horsepower than the newer ones do.

·
Registered
605 Posts
granted they do have less horsepower but it's still a lot of horsepower, so be careful.

Ddocta, the new 250-350 sportbikes from any maker are about as powerful as a 600 model a dozen years old

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just spent some time going around the block on my friends '01 CBR 600 4FI. Fun, but I sure as heck don't want one.

First that damm thing is heavy. I actually dropped it once, when I put the wrong foot down on a bit of slopey road. Fortunately I lowered it to the ground and it wasn't even scratched but once it started going it was all I could do to slow it down.

Mostly though I really didn't like the power curve. Either the revs were to low and it stalled out on me, or I hit the power band and it was accelerating harder than I wanted it to. Tricky and not much fun. I spent forever at an intersection waiting for a big enough hole in traffic because I sure as heck didn't want to pull out and stall in a tight spot. The SUV driver behind me was getting pissed. :D

I'm hoping that when I test drive the '92 ZX 600 D3 that the power curve is broader and has more torque at low revs so I can quit stalling at every intersection. Otherwise I think I'll pass and go get that '02 Ninja 250 for cheap.

-Andrew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, apparently the tranny forks for the bike are back ordered and they have no idea when it'll be ready.

Sooo.. I've decided to keep looking. There are a couple of cheap bike in the paper I'm going to have a look at.

Any opinions about an '82 550 GPz or an '81 Suzuki GS450T?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
605 Posts
Andor, look in craigslist for denver/boulder area, I can also help you out since I live in Denver/Aurora. Check e-bay for denver/CO bikes then find one you like in your price range and go look at the bike before you bid, if not, then you get a little bit more riding experience anyways :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts