Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just joined this community. First impression is a good one, very friendly environment. I'm young and have been interested in cruisers (mainly vulcans) for a few years now.

I want to get a Vulcan 900 Custom for my first cruiser, I would like some advice on whether it is worth purchasing new or second hand.

From what I have read here so far, if I buy second hand, It's not much difference in the price and the bike may simple be wrecked...
Is buying brand new a good idea?

I want to install a custom exhaust to add some beefy sound to the bike. I have heard the custom exhaust and don't like it much. I have watched some videos on youtube, ppl debaffle their exhausts by drilling holes, Is this worth doing, what are the pro's and con's?

Also what are the best exhausts available for a VN900?

cheers, Tim.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
How big a boy are you? I bought a 900 2 years ago and I love the bike but I could use a couple more ponies at my size. The 900 is easy to whip around but I"ve been on a couple 1500 nomads and they're not bad. Because I didn't test ride idle it I didn't notice I was on a 2000 once. Granted these bigger bikes are a couple hundred pounds heavier, but at 270 I didn't notice it. Ride the 2000 and you'll know it thanks to the longer arms.

Of course this time of the year is buyers time in the Northern hemisphere which means it's dealers time in Australia. Still, keep your eyes out of a couple year old hangar queen or good shape slightly used. Your bike WILL drop in value soon as you take it off the lot. If it's used it won't drop as much.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
G'day Timmy!
Strewth ya wanna get a 900 Custom too?
BONZER!

...hmm, that's about all the aussie stereotypes i can fit in.

I got mine for my first bike when i was 23.

How old are you?

Your age might be an issue for getting insurance on a new high cc bike, whereas with a used older smaller bike the insurance may be less.

I don't know how the bike license works over in Oz, but we had to do a basic test on a 125cc, then on a 500cc then we can ride any bike.

I did both those tests then went straight on from riding the test-centre's 500cc and bought a brand new 900 Custom.

It's a great first bike if you have the experience of riding other bikes.
If you've never sat on a bike before i'd suggest something smaller and lighter. At least for a month to get used to riding, changing gears, countersteering, etc. etc.

It is big and certainly heavy compared to sportsbikes or general commuter bikes. And it's bigger and heavier than some larger cc cruisers
It handles pretty well and you can really fling it around through the bends when you get used to it.

It won't be as responsive as a sportsbike, but it'll be more comfy and will help keep your speed and reckless riding to a minimum.

I wanted my bike new so that i could run it in properly, so i knew it's history, and plus there really wasn't any second hand 900 Customs around when i was looking to buy.

Used is generally good as the value won't really drop once you buy it. And you can get a 1-2 year old bike in excellent condition for a fraction of the new price. But you need to ensure there's a full service history, and you need to check it's not been crashed and repaired etc. etc.

The 900 is a more high revving engine than a Harley so you won't get a deep throaty rumble.
Cobra and Vance&Hines are the more popular makes for exhaust.

The longer and wider the pipe, the deeper the note.
As stock the Custom is quite quiet. With my Cobra Speedster Shorts, it's very loud! VERY!
it can set car alarms off, and most of my sportsbike riding buddies aren't keen on riding behind me for too long a period, and some of them who are 4-5 bikes in front say they can still hear me.

i'd recommend it as a first bike, but i'd also recommend you take one for a test-ride before you buy.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
depends on how much experience you have had in the past. your safety would be a concern with no experience on a cruiser of this size. I have been riding all my life and at 150lbs. I can still throw this thing around with no problem.It is the perfect bike for people of all ages who like cruisers.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
One of the reasons we went new was for the full factory warranty - in fact, we upgraded it to 6 years. You might be able to find some "slightly used" at a dealership with some factory warranty left, depends upon the stock at the time.

Personally, I like the security of a warranty. If that's not high on your priority list, you can prolly find some great deals on used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks for feedback, I am a big boy :) Very Strong and heavy, weighing in at 115 kg. I don't think the size of the bike would be much of a problem.

As for the Exhaust, If I were to purchase and install an exhaust, would it be necessary to change some of the CPU? Or will it not make that much of a difference in performance to be worried about?

cheers, Tim.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
With just an exhaust, you won't need a fuel controller. If you upgrade the intake and exhaust, you will need a controller. BTW, I love my 900 as a first bike! I like to purchase my bikes brand new, but that's just me . . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I played out this same senario this year. I took a MSF course at the beginning of this past summer. Afterwards I ended up purchasing a new '09 VN900 Custom. I am 5'11" 225lb and I think it is a great starter bike. It has enough power to get up and go, but I found it very manageable as a new rider. It definitely feels like a lot more bike after the 250's in the MSF class, but it quickly shrinks. Riding two up (225lb+130lb) on the 900 is fine but I imagine dropping down to a 500 or 250 would be less then satisfying.

Purchasing new is nice but I am already looking at upgrading. If you can find a used bike in good condition I say jump on it. You may think the 900C is the perfect fit for you but that may change after riding for a season or two. After riding for a season on the 900 I am looking at picking up a standard or sport touring bike for next season just to branch out and try a different style bike. I still love the 900 and wont be selling it soon since I am lucky enough to be able to afford two bikes. If I could not afford two bikes and wanted to try something new, taking the deprecation hit on a new bike would hurt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a 2009 vulcan custom last feb. never ridden a day in my life. I was 200 lbs and it was great for about 2 months. after that i found I needed something a little bigger and a better seat. the seat is horrible for long rides. 15 hrs one day and I was switching from the passanger seat to the drivers for about a good 4 hrs of that. the bike tops out at 110ish mph depends on slight incline or decline. it's a good buy to learn on but I wouldn't buy it again if I had a choice. I would buy a bigger bike to start off with. I wouldn't recommend a bike under 1100cc's. but that's me.

9 months on the custom and I turned around and purchased a connie 14.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tim,
I am in NSW and in May purchased a 2007 Classic with 400klm, must have only been ridden around the block, for $10,250.00. This included 18 months warrantry and a pillon backrest thrown in. The bike is great and the only thing is the seat. Got it re padded for $25.00. All OK now. It is very quite so I drilled out the exhaust, bit better note now. Good fuel economy. I dont keep up with the mates on a ride, the style slows you down in corners. But that is a good thing too. You dont have to show off. Give us a yell if you want any more info.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
The 900 is a great bike. It has enough power to ride two up and it tops around 115 mph. Not the fastest but can keep up with some bigger bikes. The best exhaust in my opinion is the Vance and Hines. Oh and keep in mind every one complains about the high vives in high speeds.

Now, in my opinion I don't think its worth it to buy new. I only buy new when they're all new models like the new VN1700. You can buy a used for around half of what they are worth brand new.

·
Registered
716 Posts
BTW, I'm one of those that drilled out the baffles. Not too loud, but has a nice bit of growl when you accelerate. Just depends on how loud is loud enough for you.

·
Hardcore Poser
151 Posts
Welcome Tim,
900 custom was my first bike, and still my only bike. I love it, I'm a big guy and it has all the power I need, even on highways. I do group rides often, guys that have harleys, gold wings, and bigger cc bikes, I don't have a problem keeping up with them. We average speeds of 80mph and she does it just fine. I've ridden the higher cc's and yes you can tell they have more power, but it's not enough to make me want to run out sell my bike and get another one just yet. I will upgrade to a bigger bike in a couple of years, but i'm not in a rush, besides I'm having too much fun customizing this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. After owning over 30 different bikes since I was 14. The last few included a Honda 750 Magna, a Volusia, a Suzuki LC1500, A Honda VTX 1300 Retro, an 05 Suzuki C50 Boulevard Limited, a 06 C50T Boulevard and now the 08 Classic, have lots of questiions about this new ride, Like regular, or premium or does it matter, oil, etc. Good Riding to all of you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.