Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of transmission issues w/ 1992 600R (c) . At fisrt there was a loud metallic sound.( simular to rod knock ) now there is a shift problem. I can get into first gear. I can get from first to nuteral w/ no problem. But most of the time I canNOT get into second. But on occasion it will shift into second then all other gears work as well. I know the noise and shift problem are related. Just wandering what to expect.

Thanks so much Kxpaul

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds terminal unfortunately, Usually nasty noises from the transmission require a strip.
Could be a selector fork or a Circlip come adrift on one of the gear trains allowing the gears to shift out of sink.
It's worth looking at the shifter mechanism as there are various parts that could cause your problem..When you shift into 1st the mechanism moves one way then the other for all other gears, Also there are some springs in there that could have expired causing you grief.

Kawasaki use what they call a positive neutral finder and i think they were used on your model if memory serves me and this could be one of the causes for your problem....
There are three small balls on the output shaft that due to centrifugal force are thrown out allowing second gear and up to be engaged but only when the output shaft is turning 'Ie' when the bike is moving..
One fault with this system is that you are only able to engage 1st and of course neutral..

:!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not sure about the C, but the E models have a known wear-out problem with the shifting forks and like at about 20k miles. Doesn't really sound like that though, cause that just won't keep it in a gear. Check out the Nuetral finder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts