Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend my brother came up from Jacksonville. He is what I would call a "bikerlite" . He knows some phrases, he looks the part, but he's in it because he thinks it impresses people.

He came up to show me the latest addition to his clown machine. Hes has a VTX 1300 that he has made into a glide, Batwing fairing,hardbags ETC...
He had god awful ghost flames painted on it and now has led lights everywhere.

Now for the MC part. He said to me that he joined a Motorcycle Club. And he was pretty much treated as a "Legacy" member. The didn't even make him a "prospect". He didn't have to earn his "CUT" they just "Patched" him in.He just had to pay the cost of it. he was a full member now.

I was standing across for him drinking a beer when he said he could get me in as a prospect.(I examined his vest without him noticed) (and for the life of me saw no Club patch)

Here's the great part I asked him what the name of the club was. (I know most of the big clubs) And he said "ABATE of Florida" (I didnt have the heart to tell him it's a political organization not a club)

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
He came up to show me the latest addition to his clown machine. Hes has a VTX 1300 that he has made into a glide, Batwing fairing,hardbags ETC...
He had god awful ghost flames painted on it and now has led lights everywhere.
Hey, what's wrong with adding a fairing and hardbags? :toetap:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/116686-my-vulcan-glide-large-pics.html ;)

But seriously, educate him on his ignorance. It could save him for getting educated the wrong way. ;) Pass on this link to him, Riding Club and Motorcycle Club Education

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
He is your brother, and you would like him to be alive next time you see him... right?

He needs to know the deal. If he was to walk into the wrong bar and say the same as he did to you to the wrong person he could be in for an education the hard way… or they may just blow him off recognizing him for what he is.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
He is your brother, and you would like him to be alive next time you see him... right?

He needs to know the deal. If he was to walk into the wrong bar and say the same as he did to you to the wrong person he could be in for an education the hard way… or they may just blow him off recognizing him for what he is.
That's most likely what would happen, but it also depends on his attitude in such situation. Doesn't take much for some young prospect trying to make a name for himself.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Ah, the cruiser world. There is so much preoccupation with patches, colors, clubs, gangs, farkle (bling), pseudo-performance parts and other minutia that seems to require constant yammering. His batwing is probably no more out of place than the loud pipes, over-size apes, skulls, trite sayings or excessive chrome. These seem to be the things that make the cruiser world function. I don't see much in this post that is too different from others I read. Someone will set him straight about ABATE. In the meantime he is living his version of the cruiser lifestyle. Ride on.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Ah, the cruiser world. There is so much preoccupation with patches, colors, clubs, gangs, farkle (bling), pseudo-performance parts and other minutia that seems to require constant yammering. His batwing is probably no more out of place than the loud pipes, over-size apes, skulls, trite sayings or excessive chrome. These seem to be the things that make the cruiser world function. I don't see much in this post that is too different from others I read. Someone will set him straight about ABATE. In the meantime he is living his version of the cruiser lifestyle. Ride on.
Ah, the sport tourer world. Those that feel the need to always crap on what cruiser guys like! ;)

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Wild.... Not the case. Hey, cruiser guys like to do cruiser-like stuff. Same with sport bikes, tourers, scooters,etc. This isn't bad stuff. If his brother is a Wild Hog wannabe it is perfectly acceptable. I have a huge number of years/miles on cruiser bikes so I have experienced the cruiser world up front and personal. I enjoyed every minute of it. But... it is what it is.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Wild.... Not the case. Hey, cruiser guys like to do cruiser-like stuff. Same with sport bikes, tourers, scooters,etc. This isn't bad stuff. If his brother is a Wild Hog wannabe it is perfectly acceptable. I have a huge number of years/miles on cruiser bikes so I have experienced the cruiser world up front and personal. I enjoyed every minute of it. But... it is what it is.
Just admit that you turned to the dark side and there is no coming back! :lol:

But seriously, I have no issue with someone being a Wild Hog type. I really don't, but if someone is uneducated in the fact that he is not in a club like he thinks he is, he could be in for an unfortunate education. You're right. It is what it is.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
There are some folks in ABATE who wouldn't be too thrilled about that, either. Here in Kansas, at least, we make sure the new members know that we are NOT a club, we are a Motorcycle Rights Organization (MRO) - huge difference!

This guy needs to be educated before he's ostracized by one side or seriously hurt by the other.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Ah, the cruiser world. There is so much preoccupation with patches, colors, clubs, gangs, farkle (bling), pseudo-performance parts and other minutia that seems to require constant yammering.
I agree, providing you concur that not EVERY cruiser rider is like that. I care not about patched, colors, clubs, or gangs. Just like my car, I like to keep by bike looking nice, but I dont feel I fit in under "bling" as I dont subscribe to the 'add as much chrome as possible' mindset.

You cannot really help the pseudo-performance parts thing, since the v-twin really is a pseudo-performance engine to begin with. :lol:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.