Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that I'm going to do the first maintenance on my own. I figure that I can do everything that the dealer is going to do and so why throw my money away. My question is when is it time to change to synthetic. I have been told that you shouldn't change over right away. Is this true? When would be the best time to make the change to synthetic? What is a good oil to put in on this first change. The temp. that I ride in is usually between 40-100. and I ride VN 900. I have some Castrol GTX 10W-40. Good choice?

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
You just might hear a couple of opinions on this topic ;)

When asked, the mechanic where I bought my Nomad told me he'd put synthetic in the bike at the first oil change. That's exactly what I did too, with 10W-40. I might look at 20W-50 in the summer as it does get pretty warm here.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I havn't bought my filter yet so when I do I will get the syn stuff.

Jared,
FWIW, I used to buy my Suzuki C50T (805cc) oil filters at NAPA Auto Parts. I don't know if they have Napa's in Utah, but if they do, they're a good buy (made by Wix). I now buy my Nomad 1600 oil filters there as well due to the good price, availability, and product quality.

I'm sure there are other brands just as good, but just thought I'd throw in this information in case a Napa is convenient to you.

DS

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
i use Motul 5100 semi synthetic oil , 10/40w in winter & 10/50w in summer . never had a bad exprience using Motul oil's , if i cant get Motul . i recommend Silkolene oil's , but many guy's here use proven US brand oil's which i believe are of very high quality ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.