Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure, but I think my 04 Vulcan 750 is running a bit hot. The other day it was almost in the redzone. It was low on coolant though and I was driving around in the city. But today the level was fine and it was almost in the red zone again, but not as bad. I was going about 30 mph and stopping at lights quite often. The bike has 1,050 miles.

Feedback on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
talked with mechanic friend of mine and he said to make sure that the rad. fins are clean (not caked with mud or stuff ) and that the rad fan should be turning off and on frequently until you get the motor broke in (1500-2000 miles),dont run it hard at all.he said that the 750 is a very hi-tec complicated engine and they have had alot of them come in .he also said if its runnin hot now and did not seem that bad before,you better take it in for check up. sorry about the not so good news....i dont know anything about the 750 myself...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

there is a thermocoupler fan switch near the bottom of the radiator on the right side
it senses coolant temps and activates the fan-the fan may be coming on but not in time to cool the bike down-check this switch if it is sensing faulty temps it would overheat.
i've never heard of overheating being an issue on the 750,but these switches are in a location that exposes them to the elements and they are somewhat picky about getting
dirty and wet alot and will fail on occasion-otherwise take it in and get it checked

the only weak link i know about on the 750 is the cam tensioner and the drive shaft coupler
which have shown some wear after the miles pile up :wink:

hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The motorcycle behaved itself this past weekend.

Should I change out the heavy 20w-50 the dealer put in and fill it with 10w-40?

Do you think the dealer is gonna charge me to check it out? I bought it in November.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I checked out the motorcycle and the hose that goes from the resivoir to the radiator was pinched. I fixed that and flushed the coolant (I put in some of that GM Dexcool one day cuz I didn't have anything else to put in). I still need to take it to the dealer if this keeps up. Could that pinched hose have been causing my overheating problem?

The fan only turns on once the needle is almost at the red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts