Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replace the front pully with the scootwork pully I order. was a bit nervous about picking up a belt wine that I have read so much about. mine had a slight wine with the stock pully, but it was nothing that bother me. I really belive that it is the trans gear that has the wine and not the belt. don't know that for sure. anyway I took my baby down the road this morning and like the way the pully worked. I still had the slight wine that I had with the stock gears, but it is no worse. I took it on the highway and 70-75mph was alot better with the pully change. with the stock pully, 70 was almost unbearable, with the vibration. actually it may have been less than 70, thinking how bad the speed odom is off. well hopefully this pully will fixed that. I made this pully change because some of the guys I work with wants to do an Iron butt run. 1,000 miles in 24 hours. I have the smallest cc's bike going. not that a 900 is small, but most bikes that are going on this run are over 1300 cc. I figure the pully change will help me out some.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Good job
1. how many miles do you have on the bike? The vibration does lessen with more miles.
2. Give that pully/gear some time, it will be singing to ya real soon....
3. With the 900 you will be going a lot further than most without needing gas. You will get tired of everyone stopping for gas so often.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for the update on the pully brwdarr. I was planning on putting one on my 900, if I decide not to trade her in. I'm glad to hear more good feedback about it's function.

Plasma, can you expand on what you were saying about the pully? You wrote that it will start to sing after a while. Does this mean that the pully develops a noise?

D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have about 2,000 miles on the bike. you are right on gas milage. one of the guys have a c-90 suzuki with a 3.9 gal tank. 120 miles is about as far as he can go on a tank. the way i have it figure i can go more miles on a tank than any of them.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks for the update on the pully brwdarr. I was planning on putting one on my 900, if I decide not to trade her in. I'm glad to hear more good feedback about it's function.

Plasma, can you expand on what you were saying about the pully? You wrote that it will start to sing after a while. Does this mean that the pully develops a noise?

D
I adjust mine and it's OK for a week or 2 then it makes noise again. then I do it again. I have tried soap & spray to help.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I haven't had any problems with whine (well any more than it did before) but I had the pulley put on by my dealer and they re-adjusted the belt when they put it on. I can say that the more miles, the less vibration in the 70-75 range.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I kinda like that whine. I always thought it was more of a whistle. I mean would a Porsche 917 driver complain about the gearbox whine? :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
No belt whine here and I've had the thing on for about 1000 miles. Are you setting it too tight maybe? Adjustment should have it close to but not really rubbing the outer hub wall.

Anyways, the 900 will go all day, maybe not top out as fast as the bigger bikes, but the limit +10 is way below what the bike will top out at. And now you'll have the added benefit of the speedo being closer to right.

End of June I'm running out from KC and going up Pike's Peak then coming back for my Iron Bun's ride. Might actually head North into wymoning and camp somewhere in Nebraska overnight for the 1500 miles in 36 hour bit. It should be fun but I'll no more after Spring Fling in Eureka Springs, AR. I have a Spencer's rebuilt seat and go a couple hours in it with no problems now where 45 minutes had me shifting before. Remember, you may have to stop for gas more often, but them occasional leg stretches will make the riding less problem. Sure, the bike will go 2 hours before fueling, but there's nothing says you can't stretch every hour or so.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it may be to tight. I have it set on the #2 mark or tick as some call it. I felt the belt before I pull the pully to get an ideal of the tension that was on it and I try to put that same tension back on it. it made have been to tight from the factory. I don't have much of a wine, but I may lossen the belt up half a turn and see how it does. I'm trying to get ready for this iron run. does anyone have a suggestion on seat pads? I can't afford another seat yet and the stock seat will be to hard on me. I was thinking about a pro pad gel pad, or a airhawk air cusion. I like to get some thoughts on this. thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have been using the large airhawk on my 900 for two seasons now. Won't leave home without it. I tried the Mustang seat but sold it as the airhawk gave me a better ride.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I posted it on the boards, but I think I'm right around the 1 tick mark. You really just want to take the slack up not stretch the belt. Does your's make kind of a whirring sound or a squeak. Whir is too tight.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
airhawk is the only thing that helped my butt. I also have the kawy jell seat but that didn't help much. I bought the tension tool recomended in the kawi book for adjusting belts, seems to work good. about $32 for tool

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Has any of you 900 owners done the rear pulley that is supposedly offered too now. I bet that would really do the 900 well as far as rpm, this shows that the 900 is geared kind of high from the factory, and that the engine is way beyond capable with the power and torque ration to run at a lower rpm.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I hadn't planned on it. First off, it's 300 bucks. Second off although I wanted to drop the highway RPM I really needed to correct the Speedometer. Mine is right on now or close enough so that I don't notice the difference. Putting the rear on would make the Speedo report low. THAT would be a very VEEERY bad thing for me. It'd probably handle it though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the replies. I will back off the belt tension some and see what happens. it does make the whirling kind of sound. also I guess I'll go ahead and order the airhawk pad, seeing that a few of you really likes it. thanks again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've gotten my front pulley in, but because of the weather, haven't yet installed it. All your pointers will help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replace the front pully with the scootwork pully I order. was a bit nervous about picking up a belt wine that I have read so much about. mine had a slight wine with the stock pully, but it was nothing that bother me. I really belive that it is the trans gear that has the wine and not the belt. don't know that for sure. anyway I took my baby down the road this morning and like the way the pully worked. I still had the slight wine that I had with the stock gears, but it is no worse. I took it on the highway and 70-75mph was alot better with the pully change. with the stock pully, 70 was almost unbearable, with the vibration. actually it may have been less than 70, thinking how bad the speed odom is off. well hopefully this pully will fixed that. I made this pully change because some of the guys I work with wants to do an Iron butt run. 1,000 miles in 24 hours. I have the smallest cc's bike going. not that a 900 is small, but most bikes that are going on this run are over 1300 cc. I figure the pully change will help me out some.
Installed Scootwork front pulley on my 900 LT, adjusted belt iaw Kawa manual and had a loud whine coming from the belt. Removed both covers and found the belt was riding against the outside flange on the front pulley. Adjusted the rear wheel again to allow the belt to just clear the front pulley outside flange. No noise. Did reduce the belt tension just a little from factory recommendation. Rode on a 200 mile trip, still no noise.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Adjusting the belt was more of a pain than swapping the pulley. It whines if it's too tight, and if it's too loose, It will make racket on the tranny end.
Once I found the sweet spot, no problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Forgot to mention, the speedometer is still reading 1 - 2 mph high. But much better than the 5+ mph high it was reading. I fail to understand why after two years of the 900 production , Kawasaki still has not corrected this problem. Something else Kawasaki needs to work on, the gas gauge reads empty when there is still over 2 gallons in the tank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts