Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday I went on my first real ride with a friend. He has been riding for a few years and has a Honda CBR1000 or something like that. We met up with a bunch of folks for a while and then split off from them as they were going on a pretty advanced road and I was brand new.

So we head out and get lost. End up traveling about an hour out of the way then back. Finally we end up where we want to go and we start hitting some twisties. Holy **** was the only thing going through my mind the whole time. I was going through them at 40-50 mph and felt like i was crawling while my buddy was cruising along at 100+ quite often. I stayed at my skill level and didnt try to keep up with him. I know my limits. He followed me on quite a few of the corners and then we would stop and he would give me tips and advice. Eventually I could take them at 60 mph but that was as fast as i was going for my first time out.

It was a freakin blast! We ended up being out on our bikes for 5.5 hours and saw some great views not to mention getting a first impression about what riding is really supposed to be like. I was scared as hell at first leaning my bike over that far but once I gained a little more confidence it felt like I was flying. Hoping for more weather like we had yesterday cause **** i want to go again.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,749 Posts
Consider yourself bitten by the biking bug. :) Glad you had a great day out, don't try to rush things, you were level headed when you "...stayed at my skill level...". keep that mindset always, don't ever try to keep up, there'll always be somebody faster. Just try to be smooth, and pick proper lines, speed will just naturally come without even trying.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,862 Posts
Welcome to riding!! Have you taken the MSF course yet? They have some great advice!!

Have fun, be safe!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Consider yourself bitten by the biking bug. :) Glad you had a great day out, don't try to rush things, you were level headed when you "...stayed at my skill level...". keep that mindset always, don't ever try to keep up, there'll always be somebody faster. Just try to be smooth, and pick proper lines, speed will just naturally come without even trying.
Exactly what my riding buddy told me and I plan to stick with that. Might be going out again this weekend again to a different area. I love traveling.

Yes, I took the MSF course a while ago. Mandatory for AF personnel before we ride.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,519 Posts
So, yesterday I went on my first real ride with a friend. He has been riding for a few years and has a Honda CBR1000 or something like that. We met up with a bunch of folks for a while and then split off from them as they were going on a pretty advanced road and I was brand new.

So we head out and get lost. End up traveling about an hour out of the way then back. Finally we end up where we want to go and we start hitting some twisties. Holy **** was the only thing going through my mind the whole time. I was going through them at 40-50 mph and felt like i was crawling while my buddy was cruising along at 100+ quite often. I stayed at my skill level and didnt try to keep up with him. I know my limits. He followed me on quite a few of the corners and then we would stop and he would give me tips and advice. Eventually I could take them at 60 mph but that was as fast as i was going for my first time out.

It was a freakin blast! We ended up being out on our bikes for 5.5 hours and saw some great views not to mention getting a first impression about what riding is really supposed to be like. I was scared as hell at first leaning my bike over that far but once I gained a little more confidence it felt like I was flying. Hoping for more weather like we had yesterday cause **** i want to go again.

Gotta be a lie, theres not real twisty's in Texas...they got no mountains. Only a couple bumps they call hills ;):biggrin:

Glad you had fun. Stay at your skill level do not let peer pressure force you to be a squid.

And as a former First Sergent I must tell you to obey the posted speed limit and wear your gear, cuz you do not own your body anymore the USAF does and we need it to bring peace to the Middle East.

·
The little guy said it.
17,961 Posts
Gotta be a lie, theres not real twisty's in Texas...they got no mountains. Only a couple bumps they call hills ;):biggrin:

Glad you had fun. Stay at your skill level do not let peer pressure force you to be a squid.

And as a former First Sergent I must tell you to obey the posted speed limit and wear your gear, cuz you do not own your body anymore the USAF does and we need it to bring peace to the Middle East.
+1 on the gear - check my sig for details.

Sounds like you had a great time! I hope you get out there many, many, many more times in the near future - it's addicting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.