Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was wondering when my first service is on the 636. Im at 685 miles right now, heard its at 1000, looking for confirmation.

Also, what have others done for break in. First 400-500 never more then half throttle never over 6,000. Since 500 nothing over 7500-8000. Thats about right..right? No wheelies/tricks/racing or bullshit. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not to nit pick, but you really should read your motorcycle owners manual(MOM.) All the recommended services and service intervals are spelled out there in black and white. Assuming your 636 is similar to my 10, the first service is at 600 miles. The break in procedure is also spelled out in your MOM plus you should have a sticker near your instrument cluster that tells you what the break in procedure is. Kawi recommends for the first 500 miles not to exceed 4000 RPMs. The second 500 miles you are not to exceed 6000 RPMs. Varying the RPMs is essential during break in. Do not operate the bike at constant cruising speeds. Also do not bog the engine down by not keeping the revs up and placing any load on the motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First service @ 600. Next one @ 4000.

I just had the first one.

So book you zixxer in now; ya dont want that nasty mix of oil and metal to clog your filter too much

max

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have ~750 now and am going in on wed for the service. If you stay under 4k u not only dont vary rpms and load/unloadm otor, but u cant even go above 50mph. I kept it under 6k at first and now under 7500.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They say that your suppose to stay under 4000 rpms for the first 500 miles and then under 6000 rpms for 500 to 1000 miles. I asked the dealership what they thought and they said stay under 6000 for the first 500 and under 8000 for the 1000 but to not maintain higher rpms for to long. If you do what Kawasaki says you will be going 47 mph on a 636 doing 4000 rpms. For me around here if I go 47 mph on certain roads I will be run right over. Now I'm wondering if other people have stayed under 4000 rpms and if they just rode backroads for 500 miles. I think staying under 6000 for the first 500 is reasonable with variable speeds.

Secondly, your first service should be at 600 miles. This is a simple service and should not cost a lot. The service is mostly changing oil and checking fluid levels and tightning anything that may have come loose during the first stage of breakin. With some other bikes (not 636) the first service will require reseating the valves witch is kinda expensive. So be glad you don't have to do that till later.

Thanks,
Erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts