Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off I am perfectly fine no road rash at all. Second the bike is not all that bad besides the right side muffler is a bit scratched. front crowl, fender, and lower crowl got scratched up but I am getting the bike repainted for 300$ CDN which is really cheap.

So now here is what happend... When out for a small ride on some twisty roads doing no more then 80 kmh at any given time and most turns still in first. But got a little to much on the trottle on one sharper turn and couldn't get the bike to turn felt like the front end was a bit light. Got to close to the side of the road which had a little curb which then led to a grass patch.

Front tire grabed and almost immediately tossed the bike down and tossed me off to the grass where I slide for about 5 feet then got up with not even a scratch (thx to the biker gods). bike slide for maybe 4 feet on the right side. Picked it up and observed the dmgs to find nothing serious not even a crack (thx to biker gods a second time).

Decided to get the bike repainted from its stock color to a high gloss black and hopefully I won't go down again for a bit...

Only 2500km on the bike LOL. But at least I now know not to hit the gas to hard to early in the twisties. Maybe if I gave a little more lean I coulda got away from that fall but I have to wait till monday before I go back for another go at it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not a scratch on anything on me just the bike which a new paint job is going to clean right up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
WOW, well happy to hear your alright also. But hearing this is now going to make me freak out on turns. I am a fairly new rider, so I guess this could happen to anyone. Anywho, I guess you must have been wearing some good riding gear?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok.

Even better that you crashed before getting your bike painted

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Its not a very good idea to be taking corners on streets very hard not matter how experienced you are. Sand, gravel, oil, and all other manner of bad things can happen to make you crash and burn. If you really want to knee drag corners you should go to the track. The surface is specially designed for maximun grip plus they keep it nice and clean.

As far as your crash, good thing it was on grass. Both times I've been down it was on pavement. I only got enough road rash to brag, hehe. Keep the shinny side up.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
1st gear? Unless the turn is really really slow <10mph then I would suggest using 2nd gear so there isn't so much torque to break the rear tire loose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i got really good gear, and it wasn't at super high speeds. The turn was very sharp now that I think about it, it did look like it could have been greasy/oily.. but what is done is done so just want to get the bike back together so I can go and ride some more. Hopefully keeping the shiny side up a bit higher this time ;)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yes, hind sight is 20 20. The important thing is that you learn from it. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad your ok. I had to learn that lesson a bit harder. I hit sand down about 60mph and I had my Zx6 rr for only 2 days!!! and STUPID me wasn't wearing any gear. Well I learned that lesson and I bought some gear after havin road rash all over my arms and legs for 3 weeks. Stay safe and watch those corners.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
KNOWING

Knowing your roads, every square foot of them is a must, even if you do know them and there has been ANY traffic on them you may find transmission oil, engine oil, coolant, sand, dropped by a truck or dirt from any vehicle fallen off in a corner or eny where...at least your first time down you weren't hurt. It doesn't get any easier on the next time down or even after that. Even at the track, rolling on the throttle a little to soon you will find the ground geting closer and closer till you find that you are actually not on your tires anymore. The transition isn't always as smooth as the track though, especially on the roads. Learn the roads, Know the bike, get the very best equipment and best tires that you care to put your life on. I know that gear is really important, but consider how much tires cost (really expensive ones) then compare them against damage to your bike (which you could even replace) versus damage to your body..........think about it.....seriously. Even if you get the very best tires that are made and they save your life and your bike you can still go beyond how well they perform... Invest in the best tires you can afford and great gear to protect you and your bike. Frame sliders won't save an entire bike in every situation, but they do work. Helmets, gloves, back-braces...there isn't an end to the amount of protection that you can buy, and it doesn't work if you don't wear it. Only other thing to think about is that all the protection in hte world won't help you if you are not in the game with your head. Even cars that can't see you can run over you...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts