Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want to wash my bike this weekend and never washed a motorcycle before. I don't know what I can or can't get wet/soapy.

Maybe some one can give me a guidline or how they wash there bikes and what is good things to do while washing and what are don't do while washing.

What kinda soad should I use and should I wax? Would canadian tire stuff work? Like car waxes and car cleaners? Is there any part on my motorcycle that cannot get water/soap on? ie. gauges and such?

The more info the better. TY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
properly seconded!

I would also like an answer to this question.. thank you for your time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
well tbh you can get anything on your bike 'wet' just be careful if your using a pressure washer around bearings (you can blast the grease out of them) and around electrics (obvious :D) but other than that your mototbike is designed to be used outside and as such 90% of it is fully waterproof, and the other 10% is inside something else which is waterproof.

On a side note, find out where your air intake is as last time i washed my bike i managed to fire the pressure washer directly into it :/ many many coughs and splutters from the engine later (about 10miles :|) it started working properly again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
I've taken up the habit of having the bike running when spraying it down. Also, it's best not to get water up the exhaust pipes, directly into the ignition, and LCD displays. Hoses have more pressure than rain, and I'd rather not take the chance of breaking something unnecessarily.

Any automotive cleaner will work. Personally, I love the cleaners and waxes made by Meguiar's --> http://www.meguiars.com/

Have fun! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I don't know if this goes for every bike, but on my EX500, when gas is low, there is some vacuum that can suck in slightly around the gas cap. If you get too much water there, it will suck it into the gas tank.

You may want to pop open the gas tank before you wash the bike (or leave it in the rain) just to get rid of the vacuum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Keep pressure washers away from oil coolers and radiators as well.
they'll cause loads of damage if aimed at them directly. and your chain will be damaged for good if you blast it with a high pressure cos you'll blow the grease out from the little rubber o rings on it, and wont be able to replace it, thus causing the chain to overheat and wear prematurely.

if you use an alloy cleaner on your frame or wheels, follow the instructions 100%. i managed to ruin my frame years ago by leaving it on for too long, and it ate through the laquer and made my frame go black.

good luck, and if it rains or snows immediatley after you've finished it all, dont get angry, accept it, its a bikers way of life.lol. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
d0hnj0e said:
Would canadian tire stuff work? Like car waxes and car cleaners?
All depends on how anal you are about your bike finish. I like a clean bike, I wash mine but I don't polish or detail it in every nook and cranny.

Any good automotive type cleaner polish wil do the job nicely.

Don't use a pressure washer, that's like sandblasting your finish and you can get water in places you shouldn't. Lot's of clean water just gently rolling off the bike is the trick washing away crud and grime so that when you do take a sponge or mitt to it there is no grit left on the bike to scratch the finish.

Canadian tire ? Lost on most members here ? You must be a fellow Moose owner!LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Well I go to canadian tire also so I can answer that question (yeah,I own a moose! :p). When I washed my bike, I took regular soap to wash the bike. I then used wax which gave it a nice shine and a good little protection (I used the green turtle wax bottle). For the exhaust, I bought Mother's buffing solution, something like that, in a red jar. This cleaned my exhausts beautifully, with a great nice shine! There you go!
Have fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Don't use ammonia based cleaners on car/motorcycle finishes. But virtually all car wash and wax products will work fine. Pressure washing is generally a bad idea since there are so many places where high pressure is bad. But a wet rag with car wash soap will work great.

I've noticed that my bike runs quite a bit faster after I wax it. My theory is that it slides through the air better. Or maybe I'm just imagining that.
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
Tested and true, I ride black and they seem to like it being clean but can play with the big boys on it's dirtiest days
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top