Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall i recently bought a kx 125 its a super clean bike very nice well the first day i rode it I blew up my top head the piston looked like i was runnin straight gas but i mixed my fuel 31:2 like the previous owner told me. Well i'm sending my cylinder off to get it re sleeved and bored what are some tips to keep from having to rebuild this top end so often?

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Avoid steady throttle on a 2-stroke, they're designed to be revved, let off the gas, revved etc. Think of a bike going around a motocross track, they're constantly on and off the throttle. You can do the same thing riding along a gravel road, just let off the gas every once in awhile.

good reading on the subject...
Dan's Motorcycle

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
make sure you mix it well in the can...not try to mix it in the tank...
and double check your ratio of oil to gas
We always used a ratio measuring bottle we bought at our local bike shop. It had marks on the side for the amount of gas you had in your jerry can for the different ratios, just fill the bottle with that much oil, add to your gas and you have the right ratio. This is the one we used...

"The Maxima Quick 2 Mix™ bottle has been calibrated to give you the ability to accurately mix in ratios of 24:1 to 100:1. Simply choose the ratio of oil you wish to use and the amount of gas you are going to mix. Fill oil to the mark corresponding to the amount of gas you will use. For example: To mix 4 gallons of gas at 32:1, fill oil to the 4.0 gallon mark under 32:1 ratio. To mix 6 gallons of gas at 50:1, fill oil to 6.0 gallon mark under 50:1 ratio. etc... The Maxima Quick 2 Mix™ also features ounce and CC calibrations--located on the right side. Use these for you own custom ratios, filling transmission oil, fork oil, etc. Accurate Measurement, Mixes Ounces/CC’s, Mixes Gallons/Liters, Convenient Cap keeps inside clean. Durable Polypropylene, Easy to measure, 20oz/592ml plastic bottle, Compact Size"

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Hey yall i recently bought a kx 125 its a super clean bike very nice well the first day i rode it I blew up my top head the piston looked like i was runnin straight gas but i mixed my fuel 31:2 like the previous owner told me. Well i'm sending my cylinder off to get it re sleeved and bored what are some tips to keep from having to rebuild this top end so often?
Usually if you do not add oil the engine will seize up not blow up. The oil only lubricates the rings so without it you get stuck piston.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.