Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anybody got any links for one of those flashing pulsating brake light bulbs? Think I need to try one out. Will go in a BUBF 1500L. Any tips anybody on these types of bulbs. I would rather try the bulb first instead of the wired in modulator. Thanx :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
What I want to know is what everyone thinks of these lights? I think the brake light one is good, I am not so sure about the headlight modulators. They seem a little obnoxious when you meet one, but people swear they have saved their skins by having one.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think they are a good thing. How many times have you heard, after a motorcycle accident that the cage driver "Just didn't see the motorcycle"?

The vast majority of drivers are not looking for motorcycles and tend to look right through them. The more you make yourself visible the better.

I had both on my VN800 and took them off to transfer to the new bike. I will do that in the next few days.

The only time I knew of any reaction to the headlight flashing was on a country road some teens, or a bit older, were coming toward me on a two lane pretty fast (read speeding). I saw them slow down and when we passed they realized I wasn't a cop and made some kind of noise or gestures. No big deal. I just kept going at about 55 and never saw them again.

I am pretty sure drivers see the light flasing and don't quite know what to make of it. But they see it.

As for the brakelights. My old bike had two bulbs back there, but the new one has only one. I have no idea what Kawasaki is thinking on that. Costs? Anyway, in the bright sun out here I think the flashing brakelight is going to be more noticed.

I personally don't give a crap what others think, as long as they see me. Better to piss off a few folks or have some think "you ain't cool" than be dead or maimed.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Modulators

I think headlight modualators are just something else to go wrong...if you have been in a car recently an dseen a bike with juts regular lights on the suspension is working oll of the time so it is the same thing...I don't think that they are worth having something else go wrong when it comes to somethig as important as a headlight. Tail lights changed over to LED's that's a must because hte Lamps are not bright enough. Installing the turn signals into the tail light is a cool thing or even installing the licensplate that has the LED's on it is cool, IF you really want to be seen. IF you are serious (really) you can install PIAA lights on yor bike for high beams through a relay. In the european versions they use an 8 watt lamp for daylight driving not a 55 Wattt light...as long as it is on they will see you. Having LED lights on the front of your bike will aklso ensure visability...use the bright setting for cruising an the dimmer one for turn signal,,,it's still brighter than the original bulbs!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

hate the headlights - like the taillights

hardly see any flashing headlights down here-don't like them,they freak
some cages out,they don't know whether to stop,go.go halfway
they think it is a abulance from adistance or something - i think a good set of driving lights is adequate-reminds me of the ole days though when you had magneto headlights and they pulsated :lol:

tailights- i like these.seems around here we have more rear ends,as least that's what i hear more about,mostly at nite when your turning and slowing
down they run up behind you cause they couldn't see yout little tailight :lol:

the flashing LED'S seem to improve visibilty from behind without being
distracting-just my .08 cents :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HEADLIGHTS

On our lightly traveled dual lane blacktops here in the country...The car in front of me pulled over rather abruptly...so I did hte same thinking that perhaps I had missed something...only to find out that it was only a bike with the headlights pulsating...better safe than sorry, but I don't like them. I found in the wiring diagrams for the 250 that the european s have an 8 watt bulb that operates during the daylight hours...works for me!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Modulators

ZX-2R said:
IF you are serious (really) you can install PIAA lights on yor bike for high beams through a relay. In the european versions they use an 8 watt lamp for daylight driving not a 55 Wattt light...as long as it is on they will see you.
What are these PIAA lights? 8 watts? Clue me in on this, ZX.....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LIGHTS ACTION

Go to airtech fairings and they have regular fairings or race fairings. with the race fairings to be legal for the road you would simply have to add on PIAA lights they are just a light kit like hi/low beam lights that you could addd on to the fairing...they just happen to be a brand name but very good lights... if you look at wiring diagrams you will see that some of the circuits "NOT USED IN THE USA" use a lamp (bulb) that is only 8 watts about what a side marker on your car has in it, for daytime headlamp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a new 03 Vulcan Cruiser 1600. Her rear turn
signals have no running light filaments. I purchased two new front turn signal/running light assemblies for the rear. That will give me three lights on at the rear at all times, just like the front. I will also change the tail light to a led unit. I believe the more you are visible, the safer you are.
I personally do not like modulating headlights. As ZX-2R wrote, Your front end makes enough movement to simulate modulation without being bothersome, especially at night. Safe biking to all.

·
Registered
458 Posts
BigBeaver56 said:
As ZX-2R wrote, Your front end makes enough movement to simulate modulation without being bothersome, especially at night. Safe biking to all.
I don't know what kind of roads you and ZX-2R have in your area, but around here most are pretty smooth and the suspension has a pretty easy time of it. Not a whole lot of headlight bouncing.

BTW, if the modulator is designed to meet federal requirements and correctly installed, they DO NOT flash at night. There is a sensor that turns off the flash mode at dusk. I don't think the things will modulate unless the sensor is plugged in, so it's pretty hard to defeat the thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
... And defeating it by making it flash at night would be a mistake.. the flashing would impair the driver's ability to see.

I installed the TailBlazer & the PathBlazer along with a Sylvania SilverStar headlight bulb replacement.

I am pleased.. I know I am noticed more. I see more eye contact.
If I annoy a few, I am not concerned.. I'm not blinding them, it's daylight.

If I were at a long red light, and thought I was annoying, I can turn it off with the hi/low beam switch.

For the rear, it flashes fast, then gradually slows the flashing over 5 seconds to solid-ON.

They (the safety experts) have recommended for years to pump your breaks to better your chances of getting attention. The device does that automatically.. and in a way that gives the sense of slowing down (the decaying flashing).

My 3 cents.
-Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts