Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I work with a company called SafeLight. We make intelligent flashing LED brake lights for cars and motorcycles. If you want to see the lights, they are here: [URL deleted by mod]

I'm not here trying to sell you our product. I'm looking for information and feedback on what you like and dislike about flashing LED brake lights, both our products and flashing LEDs in general. Our goal is to better serve the needs of motorcyclists instead of pushing on you what we think you should have.

I look forward to your comments and becoming and active member of the community.

Brad

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
My understanding is in California(maybe other states as well) a flashing stop light must have a certain pulse frequency, otherwise it might be a ticket/vehicle violation. I think they did it to not be confused with emergency vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I would love to replace my stock bulbs with LEDs but the non-existent angles of light deflection, diffusion and light output suck. Not one of the many different ones tested on FJRs have surpassed the incandescent stock bulbs. Not one!! Other than the convenient "instant on/off", they are completely ineffective and the vibrations they're subjected to on our motorcycles destroy them in short order.

IMHO, LED lighting manufacturers have no idea what the hell we require as bikers. I, for one, vote for deletion of this thread based on the spam rule. Let him peddle his snake oil elsewhere. Save your money for stuff that works.

Just my $.02 Brad. It's business, it's not personal. I truly hope you understand.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a flashing brake light that works great and can be seen for quite a long ways. I've had them for 3 seasonbs now and still going strong but they are a whole set of lights and not just one bulb.
I do have to agree that this post is coming across way to much like a spam to me. It might be different if you were an established member of the forum but it honestly looks like you simply joined to sell these lights.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Hi Brad.

I deleted the URL for your company. Before you can advertise here, you need to get permission from the forum owner. Although you say you're not here to sell anything, using your URL seems to say something different.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I work with a company called SafeLight. We make intelligent flashing LED brake lights for cars and motorcycles. If you want to see the lights, they are here: [URL deleted by mod]

I'm not here trying to sell you our product. I'm looking for information and feedback on what you like and dislike about flashing LED brake lights, both our products and flashing LEDs in general. Our goal is to better serve the needs of motorcyclists instead of pushing on you what we think you should have.

I look forward to your comments and becoming and active member of the community.

Brad

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was behind a rider with a fancy LED tail that pulsed, swirled and did other assorted tricks. Within twenty miles I wanted him dead. It was the most annoyed I have ever been on a motorcycle. I dropped out of the ride at the first stop, comparing notes with others later his demise had been planned all day. There is a fine line between being noticed and becoming a target, those lights crossed that line.

I have LEDs on the back of two bikes, they work great. The lack of a reflector lens means that I have to run a separate reflector to be legal and be seen if the lights quit. Like rbentnail I would like to replace the ones on the other bikes but have found nothing that is an improvement over stock.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I was behind a rider with a fancy LED tail that pulsed, swirled and did other assorted tricks. Within twenty miles I wanted him dead. It was the most annoyed I have ever been on a motorcycle. I dropped out of the ride at the first stop, comparing notes with others later his demise had been planned all day. There is a fine line between being noticed and becoming a target, those lights crossed that line.

I have LEDs on the back of two bikes, they work great. The lack of a reflector lens means that I have to run a separate reflector to be legal and be seen if the lights quit. Like rbentnail I would like to replace the ones on the other bikes but have found nothing that is an improvement over stock.

Dan
BTDT!! I was behind an HD with the swirly, blinky LED on a ride one time. At the first stop several of us moved to a different position in the line ahead of him. By the end of the ride he was the last guy in line and couldn't understand why.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
At least California has a regulation regarding flashing tail lights, as Mike Folks points out. If I recall, it is that a motorcycle stop lamp can flash either three or four times, and then must be steady on for as long as the brake is applied. The whirling, flashing LED sometimes advertised on Ebay are not DOT approved and using them can result in a citation for that as well as for violating any state number of flashes regulation. Also, using the latter lights could result in real or implied road rage, as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was glad to see this discussion come up (despite the apparent spam that started it).

I've been looking for something for additional attention when braking.

MFolks, thanks for putting up the list of options that you did. I went through them all and think I like the 'Knight Rider LEDs'. I am looking at the 'Nonsequential' with the running and flashing brake light. I like the fact that they flash for 5-6 seconds then go solid when the brake is applied. The price is very reasonable too.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these LEDs or the company in general? It is from #8 on MFolks list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.