Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Float problems?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  oldodge 
#1 ·
My 1996 VN 800 float seem to have stuck last week. Gas was pouring out of the two holes at the bottom of the mouth of the carb. To make a long story short... I ended up having a visit from the fire department.

After replacing the melted air cleaner housing, a few hoses and cleaning the float bowl out things seemed fine. Seemed!!!

Started her up today and it ran very rough. After warming up it ran ok but was blowing a bit of white smoke which it has never done! I shut it down when oil and started sputtering out of one of the wholes in the air cleaner assembly.

Any advice or ideas on what the problem may be or what the solution is would help me sleep better tonight!

Thanks, :cry:

1996 VN 800 Classic
5,800 miles
Michigan

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I think I have most of the problems solved. I had a lot of fuel in the crank chase. After readjusting the carb that problem is solved. I am ordering a cobra jet kit and a new float and needle. My hope is that it will run smoother. I run it the other day and is seemed ok but when starting from a stand still it would cough a bit. It a bit snowy here so I have plenty of time to rip it back apart and tweak it!

Thanks again for the welcome!

teacherman
New Baltimore MI.
Ice Fishing Time - Bike is Sleeping

#5 ·
Gas in the crank can cause her to smoke. I have the same problem, still working on the solution. Good luck with rejet. Let us know how it goes. Next time get a burn permit first!!LOL Sorry, couldnt resist.

#6 ·
dawgblood said:
You can go to a pool supply store to get patches for floats. However, if gas is leaking, you may want watch what you eat. I don't mean to sound like a "know-it-all", but I've learned a few things from this forum.
Oh sure...showin' off that big brain! :razz: You're gonna make the rest of us look stupid. :-? :wink: :p :grin:

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.