Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am stumped and need help.

I bought a 1984 ZN1100 LTD Shaft drive bike in a partly disassembled condition. I am now fitting the stock airbox back into the frame and as far as I can tell there is no way to fasten it. Does it really just hang off the carbs? Seems like it should have at least one support to take the weight of it and keep it from moving.

I have studies the Partzilla diagram (see link below) and studied the frame and airbox. If you look at the frame photo, the screwdriver is stuck into a slot that looks like it could house a support bracket but Partzilla does not show any such bracket and there are no matching holes on the airbox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
What about the air filter housing bracket 11043-1554 (BRACKET,AIR FILTER,UP)?
It attaches to the top of the air filter housing. I tried EB pics of the airbox, but they weren't any help.

Does your motorcycle have the emissions canister? If not, I'm wondering if Kawasaki messed up the parts diagrams for the models without it. I've seen a couple of other instances in which the diagrams were missing one or two minor parts. I tried Cmsnl dot com, but their diagrams are the same as partzilla for the ZN1100.

Kind of related, do you have the battery holder bracket? see pic.

·
Registered
726 Posts
…..in the 750 I own is 'floating' from factory. Is being held (rather tight) only by the crankcase ventilation tubing...but is located in front.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the air filter housing bracket 11043-1554 (BRACKET,AIR FILTER,UP)?
Does your motorcycle have the emissions canister?
Kind of related, do you have the battery holder bracket? see pic.
Good guess Martin, but I have that bracket and it is used only to connect the two air boxes together. Same thing for the bottom bracket. I was also wondering if Kawi messed up the parts diagram. You are right that it would not be the first time as I have seen a few mistakes also.

No I do not have the emission canister but I do have the battery holder bracket. They are very hard to get. I got lucky and got one from a dealer who just got a ZN and was parting it out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
…..in the 750 I own is 'floating' from factory. Is being held (rather tight) only by the crankcase ventilation tubing...but is located in front.
Thanks Hugojose. It is a tight fit so I guess it cannot move much but it still seems strange to allow it to float. I looked at a KZ for instance and I can see it is firmly bolted in place so why not the ZN? My current theory is that the "screwdriver slot" shown in the picture is designed to accept a bracket that was bonded to the airbox. In time the bond fails and the bracket is lost. It is only a theory until some ZN owner can confirm it.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
By Hugojose: …..in the 750 I own is 'floating' from factory. ...

It would help to mention exactly what 750 you have, so we could compare your stuff to the ZN1100. My 81 KZ650-CSR has L-brackets that attach the airbox to the battery box.

·
Registered
726 Posts
By Hugojose: …..in the 750 I own is 'floating' from factory. ...

It would help to mention exactly what 750 you have, so we could compare your stuff to the ZN1100. My 81 KZ650-CSR has L-brackets that attach the airbox to the battery box.
Martin,

It is '91 Zephyr 750, basically a repackaged KZ750. The box has extensions on the sides being held against the frame downtube by the crankcase ventilation tubing in front, and is not easy to free. It seems to be very secured. I would assume older KZs had some brackets, but only mention this to show it is possible not having a bracket. My box does not look much geometrically like the 11K, and of course, the 550/650/750 were different engines from the older 900/1000/1100.

Also, I personally see some advantages on having it "floating". First, it probably contributes to reduce vibration, and secondly, I can wiggle it a little when trying to fit the 4 rubber inlets on the carburetors which is always a real tedious pain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hugojose,

I see your airbox has two rubber "dampers". One on top and one on the bottom (see 92075 and 92160) on the link below. These look like they would help to wedge the airbox into the frame while protecting the airbox from chafing. Mine does not have any dampers but I did determine that the so-called "screwdriver slot" on mine has provided support for the airbox in the past. Close examination of the airbox revealed chafe marks that matched the screwdriver slot bracket perfectly. So this means the bulk of the weight of the airbox and force of installing air filters is absorbed by the screwdriver slot bracket.

So based on your confirmation of a floating design, I think I will install mine as floating and once the carbs are connected I will stuff some foam rubber between the airbox and frame tubes and leave it at that. Totally agree that a little bit of wiggle room will help get those stubborn carb to airbox boots connected with a little less frustration.

Thanks for all the help from you and Martin.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Thanks Hugojose. I looked at an 83 ZX750 which has a bolt at the bottom of the airbox, but there aren't any airbox brackets which my 81 KZ650 has. A floating airbox seems strange to me when considering the weight of the carburetors. As for adding foam or something, I would use something w a sticky side, such as door/window insulating foam from the home depot.

·
Registered
726 Posts
WFO,
I see you have been looking at the microfiche. To be honest, I've never noticed those rubber dampers, and I've taken that box out before...as stated...it was not easy. What you see as bottom damper, is really a tab with two notches where the filter box latches on to. Believe or not the whole set up does not touch the bottom. The indentation on the sides is what rest on the downtubes and the crankcase tubing assembly does the holding.

Martin,

About the weight of the carburators,..... most is being held by the rigid head intake boots. Mine at all hard rubber, the ZR-7 (last KZ750) were thin aluminum inside coated with rubber. Remember, when people install individual air filters on the carbs, the air box disappears all together and the carbs are held only by the head and the intake boots. I don't like those filters and prefer all stock air box, but proves the air box is not subjected to stress, nor is a support for the carbs. The intake rubber boots are rather soft compared to the head intakes ones.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Thanks again. I was thinking of the individual pod filters >> some say the carburetor holders at the cylinder head get stressed when the airbox is deleted & there can be vacuum leaks. As for the floating airbox, there is some support from the frame. It just seems odd the way Kawasaki deleted the brackets, but it apparently works fine eliminating the excess parts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I think we have resolved that some Kawasaki's use a floating design and others are fixed. Good to know, and now I can sleep at night and not worry about it.

Martin, I would like to go back to your question about the battery bracket. Was that a picture of your bracket? If so, I notice the plastic battery top cover is missing. This is also a very hard to find item as are the side covers. Is the packing tape helping to hold on one of your side covers because one of those danged prongs broke off?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
No, I don't have a ZN. I just saved the photo from EB after someone else asked about it & thought the pic might come in handy for whoever else doesn't have the bracket. I've saved a few other pics of unusual parts like that for future reference, and I do have a photo of the battery cap. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts