Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how many (if any) of you ride in Florida? Do you use your bike as a daily driver. Which gear do you use in our hot and humid summers? I was taking a look at the one piece Roadcrafter suits and they seem appropriate, but I'd like to know what you guys with some real life knowledge about this think.

For those who don't know, Florida's average low temperature is in January at 50F and the average high temperature is July/Aug at 92F.

Average rainfall is between 2-7 inches a month

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Ah, yes the joys of Florida... I miss that place... I was born there, and am hopefull coming back for most of the summer... maybe...
But on another not, I hate you Floridians for your good weather!!! :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno, I think californian's have all the good weather locked down...well except for the last week or so. They've had it pretty ****py with cold weather and rain. Here in Orlando it's a glorious 76 degrees with not a cloud in sight!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ride in Florida. My bike is a my daily vehicle, although I live close to work and don't usually drive more than 20 miles one way for my longest errands. I tend to put a couple hundred miles of ride time in on the weekends if time permits.

As far as gear, I wear a HJC CL-14 helmet, which fits me well, has good visibility, and pretty good air flow. My jacket is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 mesh jacket. Air flow is of course excellent, armour is good, reflection is so-so, and it comes with a waterproof removable liner that also keeps the wind out on chilly nights.

I don't wear ridding pants, and the rest of my gear is all military issue, like jungle boots and polypro thermals for cold nights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how long have you been riding for? As much as I would like to protect my body from damage since I expect to use it for the rest of my life, I'd like to not have to pay for something that I don't need. The reason I was considering a one piece suit was because I heard it was mostly waterproof and 2 piece types usually would bunch up. have you gotten anything like that yet?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've only been ridding for a short while, but I'd say the best advice I can give you is buy the best and most protective gear you can afford.

I've ridden enough in the rain to know that while my gear doesn't exactly make it a joy, it does make it tolerable. Even in pretty decent rain I stay reasonably dry and comfortable, at least enough to remain safe. I also grew up snowboarding and skiing, so my frame of reference might be a little different than yours, but I don't find florida rain to be all that terrible in the first place.

As far as safety, of course the more gear and armour you have, the safer you are, but there's always the law of diminishing returns. I wear a full-face helmet, armoured jacket and gloves, jeans, and military boots that work well for riding down here. I haven't felt that armoured pants or full suits were worth the extra expense or effort. However, if I ever find some places to ride more aggressively around here, I might decide to add armoured pants to my setup.

Anyways, just food for thought. I wouldn't base your buying decision on my uninformed opinion :), but you'll find that my setup (which also includes a reflective belt at night) is similar to most people here on base, and we military people tend to be a conservative lot when it comes to safety while participating in dangerous activities.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason I ask about how long you've been riding is because i'm curious if you've been around for both winter and summer.

I too am from the north and snowboarding was just about my favorite thing in the world. I did quite a bit of overnight boating/deep sea fishing with friends and relatives so although I can tolerate cold there is a reason I moved down to florida :)

If I skimp on any of the gear it'll be so I can afford a better/more comfortable helmet. You are right about dimishing returns so I might wind up getting the pants for a greater overall sense of safety.

Anyone in Florida able to compare one and two piece suits?

Comfort sounds like a big issue because they way people talk about it, the more comfortable you are the better you are able to concentrate

·
Registered
512 Posts
N3GATIVEZERO

i live in southwest florida, my bike is a dailey driver but only 2.2 miles to work cuz i live on a island, i have a full face hjc helmet and icon tarmac jacket, i havent been riding for summer since i got my first bike 2 months ago. i dont really get too hot in it unless im at alot of stoplights in like rush hour but like yagiska i can tolerate the cold since i lived in notheren indiana and have rode in 40F before here (florida) at night in a t-shirt and barely shivvered so i dont know if i am much help.

i think its worth it to sweat if your gonna be safe.

o yagiska im goign up to orlando in 2 weeks more than likely

·
Registered
100 Posts
black500r said:
o yagiska im goign up to orlando in 2 weeks more than likely
Sweet. PM me before you leave and I'll give you my cell #. I've been looking for an excuse to ride to Orlando, and I've got a few friends who'll probably come along for a ride (you are bringing your bike, right?!).

Zero could come along too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'm the new guy to the forum today, i ride in florida...
we may get good weather (four hurricanes in two months, i live where the eye of francis and jeanne hit) although there is nothing but straight roads here, it gets a bit boring.
My bike is my only vehicle and anything with four wheels doesn't interest me at this point.

edit: my gear is a full face agv helmet, a mesh and leather padded jacket made by a company called power trip (or something like that) and light leather gloves for the summer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unless it's on a saturday/sunday I can't hang out. I work nights during the weekdays mon-fri

1 - 16 of 16 Posts