Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I"m not that savy on motorcycle mechanical issues, but I"ve got a question and would like some input if anyone doesn't mind.

I recently had my '99 Drifter 1500 engine removed to correct an oil leak. The leak is corrected now and the bike runs like a top. Today, however, I thought I'd give my bike a good cleaning and I noticed RED FLUID seeping out from the bottom of my left air cleaner cover. I opened it up and noticed that there was a small amount of fluid that had collected around the seal and was seeping out. The air cleaner has fluid in it too.

So the question is. What is the fluid? (man I really feel dumb here) And second of all, what can I do to correct the problem? Is it just an excess of fluid that has been added when they reinstalled the engine?

My first thought is that it was engine oil, but red? hmmmm I've heard of oil spitting into the air cleaner if they filled it too high, but I"m not sure this is the case.

Anyway, can I get some input regarding this matter? I'd really appreciate it if you can.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, after looking at some older posts. I'm guessing that the red "oil" I discovered may have been used by the mechanic to create a seal for the filter. Apparently, the use of this fluid is used to give a tighter fit for the air filter so dust/dirt do not get around the filter. Perhaps it's just an excess or a bit of runoff that I experienced.

Feel free to add more, or correct me if you like.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the confirmation on that. I thought it might be something simple as that.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
is that something that will damage the bike???
Na, just makes a bit of a mess. My Nomad has an exposed (Caddman style) K&N filter on the right side. After cleaning and oiling it -it is red from the oil, but after a few thousand miles the color changes to grey as the oil gets sucked away and dirt starts to buildup.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
K&N air filter oil is red.
Yep, if you're air filter is a K&N, it definitely the oil used in them is red.
Nothing to worry about at all. Just get out there and ride you lucky ^#@*.
We're getting hit with a major snow storm today here in eastern Ontario Canada.
So far, there is about a foot of the white crap in my driveway.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Yep, if you're air filter is a K&N, it definitely the oil used in them is red.
Nothing to worry about at all. Just get out there and ride you lucky ^#@*.
We're getting hit with a major snow storm today here in eastern Ontario Canada.
So far, there is about a foot of the white crap in my driveway.
You lucky devil, you get to ride the snow blower. :lol: Or are you stuck riding the shovel? :eek:

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
You lucky devil, you get to ride the snow blower. :lol: Or are you stuck riding the shovel? :eek:
Yep I get to ride the John Deere with blower, but it's not as fast as my 1500 Classic. Now stop reminding me that you can ride during the winter....it's, it's, well it's **** well depressing is what it is. :icon_frow ;)
BTW, that is one nice looking KZ you got there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts