Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a helmet while visiting to inlaws and will be flying home soon. Need advice on if I should carry the box with me or if it would be alright if I packed it up in my suitcase with lots of clothes surrounding. Traveling with a two year old if that changes things.

·
Crazed Zed-head
2,076 Posts
I'd check it. What with all the trigger happy TSA search Nazi's, anything that could be conceivably manipulated as a weapon or armor would be suspect. I wouldn't put it past one of those guys to imagine you could use a helmet as a battering device, or to protect your head when you decide to get in a struggle to take over the aircraft.

Just make sure you cram the inside of the helmet full of clothes and other soft stuff.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Any time I've flown with a helmet, I took it as a carry-on. Luggage handlers can be pretty rough, and I wouldn't want my lid getting bounced around.

But I also have not taken one on a flight since before 9-11.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Just say you're testing a new heads-up flying display.

Or when they ask you to take it off, start slapping the side of your head with your hand while saying "Wapner in 5 minutes..oh boy..." :D

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Huh....well I will be testing this out in a bit. I plan to carry on...we'll see. Guess I better get there early in case I have to check.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
CRAP! (Kin i say that here?)

Just called TSA...and pretty much a no go.
"Can I take a motorcycle helmet with me?"
"Oh, let me check, I don't know"
<muzak>
</muzak>
"Sir, he said that it would be treated like a bowling ball, it could be heavy and used as a weapon. You might want to check it as it is up to the descretion of the inspector."

DANG!! I didn't bother to argue. I just happen to have a box with packing peanuts...will do that and check it. Sigh.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
CRAP! (Kin i say that here?)

Just called TSA...and pretty much a no go.
"Can I take a motorcycle helmet with me?"
"Oh, let me check, I don't know"
<muzak>
</muzak>
"Sir, he said that it would be treated like a bowling ball, it could be heavy and used as a weapon. You might want to check it as it is up to the descretion of the inspector."

DANG!! I didn't bother to argue. I just happen to have a box with packing peanuts...will do that and check it. Sigh.
LOL!

I could do more harm with my laptop, Ipod and a ball point pen than with a helmet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts