Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago, I was riding and the oil drain plug fell out of place. Here's me riding on the busiest street in town, and the friggin' thing pops out. I forgot to torque it down the day before. I did an oil change and thought I had torqued it, guess not...

Felt like I popped the back tire, the handling was that bad! I pulled off and got my dad to get the bike in the van. He had this ramp that had nails sticking out of it, he thought that he had gotten most of them out. Guess not! When I got it back home, I had two flat tires. The back worse than the front. The front tire deflated over the course of about a week.

I got the back tire plugged before I knew that the front one had a leak too. So I went to Canadian Tire... Yes, Canadian Tire, and bought some of that tire sealant stuff. I've had it in there for about 8 months now! But the thing is that you're supposed to get the tire fixed ASAP when you put that stuff in.

It still works, but here is my problem... I guess over the course of time, the liquid solidified and became brittle... Anyhow, when I spin the wheel now, it sounds like there's a load of rocks in there!Lol. It throws the wheel out of balance a bit. It's noticable when driving.

So when you gys get a flat, use that stuff as a TEMPORARY measure and get the flat fixed ASAP. Don't leave it in there for months on end like I did! Lol. I have to take it down to the shop and break the bead and get it out of there.

Take it easy. :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i got a better idea-DON"T USE THAT CRAP AT ALL :lol:

reminds me of radiator stop leak pellets just makes a big freaking mess :lol:
i could stop a radiator leak better with a potatoe
and a flat with bubble gum and duct tape :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Tire sealant

Actually there is a new tire sealant and balancer that is liquid latex. it's fairley expensive but I've only heard great stories on it from the guys at the raceway used in stock cars. No more flats and the tires are always ballanced...I don't know about using it in motorcycle tires...never done it. If you get a flat it would make a nice spare tire for home after it is repaired. I like pristine/fresh soft sticky tires for maximum traction...seems they don't need balancing for some reason.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All I can say is think long and hard before doing temp measures to your tires and then riding on them. On a bike you have 2 tires. On a car, truck or van you have 4. Lose 1/4 of your wheels and you can still stop somewhat safely. Lose 1/2 your wheels and I only hope you carry a 2nd pair of under drawers.

Yeah, money may be tight so just remember to ride slower while your working some overtime to buy some new rubber.

ZX, you talking about Tire Slime? that neon green stuff. I stuck some in my old riding mower wheels. Gonna do my bicycle tires also. Not gonna touch my bike wheels

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NO GREEN SLIME

I use slime in my Garden Tracter and farm implements, not in my car, van, or bike. I saw an add in one of the Metric Bike Magazines, perhaps a cruiser magazine. It's supposed to be a liquid latex that stays liquid AND stops leaks as well as balances the tires as you ride. It was to expensive for my farm equipment but sounded perfect for it's intended use in bike tires. I know that after racing karts an ddoing autocross that the optimum tire pressure is easy to find, yet that doesn't seem to work when you have doughnut tires like on a motorcycles. Sure you can use chalk and draw lines on your tires and see if the center is wearing even with the outside or even if you are scuffing your tires on a car, or truck...someone will have to show me how this works on a motorcycle. I have drifted on two wheels, I have powerslid on a motorcycle, I have done about everything that I care to do on a motorcycle, yet I wnat to ride one,,,and prefer to ride than to drive 80% of the time. The ice storms in Kansas have been very disasterous, and riding a motorcycle, without wearing out a pair of outrigger boots, down and locked would be insane...in both considerations...
I guess that to be really efficient for exact pressure you would need an infared temp thermometer to ensure proper temps middle and insides, like on car and Kart tires...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts