Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raised this question a while back in this thread and now I think I have more detailed information that may lead to some conclusions.

So, I found that under some conditions my 2000 500R won't start if it is in the gear and clutch lever is engaged. However, if I put bike in nuetral and release clutch then it starts ok! If I'm in nuetral and the clutch is engaged it won't start.

It does not look like normal behavior to me... Especially because I remember that I could start it when it is in the first gear and the clutch lever is engaged.

It looks very much like there is something wrong in the electrical ciruitry rather than strictly mechanical issue. May be I should adjust clutch level to make it engage earlier as I release the lever?

Well, does anybody have any clues on that?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
No, thats the way its supose to be. Read the manual. Its the same way with my ZX-9R. Its a safety feature. Not like you need to be starting the bike while its in gear anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that starting in nuetral is safer than in the gear but my concern is that it was starting before even in the gear. Plus, nuetral with clutch lever pulled in is safer than just nuetral but the bike won't start this way.

I suspect that there is something wrong with electrical part that is somehow related to clutch operation...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Is your kickstand down. There is a kill switch safety feature to prevent numb nuts from riding away with their kickstand down?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the kickstand is up. Moreover, this safety feature should kill the engine if the kickstand is down and I release the clutch lever. But it happens almost backwards, the engine won't start (starter won't spin) if the clutch level is pulled in, and it starts if it is released.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the starter circuitry of EX500 (year 2000 model)? Is there a switch in the clutch that is involved into that circuitry?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts