Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 83 440LTD that I am fixing up and in doing so I discovered that the belt should really be replaced as it is really dry and brittle.

Dealer said it was discontinued.

Doing searches I found NOS that was in the HUNDREDS of dollars, so not only did the price shock me, but we were talking about a belt that is still 30 years old and if it wasn't stored possibly might be no better than what I have now.

So I took some detailed measurements and started to see if I could find a belt.

No one had anything close, till I came across this company:

V-Belts - Pix Blue Kevlar V-Belts - V-Belt Supply

They are willing to make a custom belt with the specific measurements for these bikes.

129T
32mm wide
14mm pitch
1806mm length

No minimum orders needed. They will "one-off" these for us.

Total price: $76.14 US

Now... keep in mind that this is for my 83 D5 I think the older ones used a 125T belt... I don't have one so I couldn't take any measurements.

If my math is correct these belts would be:
125T
25.5mm wide
14mm pitch
1750mm length

You can call them about these belts and see if they will do the same.

Since this is not a standard product you need to call them directly and speak with the person I delt with.

Contact: 1-888-291-5450 ext 109 (Holli is the contact, just say you are looking for the Kawasaki belt)

I hope this info can help out my fellow KZ brothers! Spread the word.... she said that if they see good sales from this they would consider making it a standard product on their site which would drop the price.

I am so excited that I can keep my bike belt drive!

D.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the belt I received from parts unlimited was not the right one. I am not sure if I was sent the wrong belt by accident or if it was a bad listing. What ever the reason the belt I received was not for an 82 kz440 LTD the teeth were too close together

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all--bad news.

I called V-Belt Supply yesterday and was told Holli no longer works there. Perhaps more importantly, they did not have any belts left in stock, nor did they seem willing to make any more.

If anyone has any other leads, it would be much appreciated. The closest thing I've found is this rubber belt from AliExpress. It was mentioned in a previous post as a possible replacement, but I'm not sure if anyone ever pulled the trigger, much less if it functions as an alternative. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 34mm too wide, anyway?

Thanks to anyone who can provide any insight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thread necro...

I was looking at a KZ440 online this morning and got curious about belt replacement which led me to this thread. Here's an option that might be worth considering:
Harley used a 14mm belt and it was available in various widths and tooth counts. 40022-91 is a 14mm pitch belt that's 1-1/8" and 128 tooth. 40048-07 is the same but 130 tooth. One of the two ought work in place of the 129 tooth stock belt.

No idea on the shorter belt. There are 1" belts available but they seem to start at 130 tooth counts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts