Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
As some of you know I recently installed a new set of tires on my ride at a local Honda motorcycle dealer and my handle bars are still vibrating very strong at speeds between 40-50. Speeds under 40 and over 50 rides very smooth like it always has. I took it back so they can rebalanced and they kept the freaking bike all day for nothing. The i.d.i.o.t. tech said tire looks fine so there is nothing wrong. I told him the bike freaking shakes and he replied "that's very normal on cruisers". So that was the last time I did business with them. I was not the only unhappy customer that day, there were others complaining about other issues.

Here is my question for those of you who are using these dynabeads

Do they really work?
Do they perform good in curves?
Good performance at all speeds?

And if the answere is yes to these three questions do I have to remove the lead weight that on the rim when installing these dynabeads?

I tend to ride hard on my vn900c and the dynabeads web states somewere they have been tested for up to 70mph but I often exeed way over that.

Tks for any advise :)

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
1. Yes they work.
2. Don't really have curves around here so I can't really answer this one.
3. I love to drive around 70 mph and yes I do exceed that as well.

The Dynabeads work great, they replace the need for the rim weight.
I've had them on my rear tire since last August and can't really complain about them.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I really like them.
Yes i would remove the rim weights if using dynabeads.

I cannot tell any difference in corners, or over 70 MPH with them, or with balanced by weights wheels.

I have had zero issues in my own bikes, and the many customers bikes I have used them in as well...........We are all happy customers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I doubt dynabeads are the problem. I am using them and have before with no issues up to speeds in excess of 100, one bike way in excess. There is likely something else, but without riding it I can offer no opinion.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
I've said this before in other threads. I don't know if the beads were the cause, but after i switched to the 90/90 front I developed a wobble at the same speed range you spoke of. I removed the weight and put the appropriate amount of beads in, within a couple months and about 2000 miles i noticed the tire was starting to blister. When I had the tire replaced I looked at the old one, it had started to delaminate on the inside almost all the way around. I don't know if it was a bad tire to start with or if the beads caused the delam, they are ceramic so they should not thansfer heat, but it happened. The new tire was ballanced with weights and rides perfectly.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
you had a bad tire. I've used beeds 4 tires, I have art sand in my front right now, smooth as glass on all of them. The first time I used Dynabeeds I didn't put enough in the front tire. This was the only time I had problems using them. Big front tires need 2 ounces not 1.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love the beads, smooth as glass, no stupid looking wheel weight that damages the paint or finsih on your wheel, I ride hard and in the twisties, no issues whatsover in 8-10000 miles. I have had them up to about 120 mph on my meanstreak still smooth. The only guy I have ever heard about that didnt like them rode the crap out of a sportbike and he changed back, said he got a little vibration at around 100-150 and it smoothed out with regular weighted balance, but thats a hard judgement because he changed tire brands at the same time.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
he got a little vibration at around 100-150
How the heck would you know at that speed? The wind would just about take you off. lol
Anyways glad I ran across this thread. I will probably have to change my rear tire before summer is over and have been researching how much and where to get these things. Funny, the Dyna Bead company site says 3oz I think for the 180/70-15 rear but some o the other places selling the beads say 2 oz is the correct amount. Who do you belive?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Funny, the Dyna Bead company site says 3oz I think for the 180/70-15 rear but some o the other places selling the beads say 2 oz is the correct amount. Who do you belive?
As with almost everything, read the instructions and follow manufacturers recommendations. Some of the discrepancies could be due to someone not interpreting the charts properly. Their is a difference between how much to use on a ct vs a mt of the same size.

And to the op. I will not go back to putting those ugly lead weights on my bike....ever. The dynabeads have served me well and are 'self balancing" therefore allowing for future changes in balancing needs. They perform well, both straight line and in curves/twisties, and my bike has no vibrations at all from complete stand still to wide open, and anywhere in between.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I have never used them, but I work at a Goodyear truck & Farm center and with what I am hearing they must work just like they do in semi steer tires. Some truckers put bags of balancing beads in their steers and swear by them, some even use golf balls inside the tires, BUT, if you still have a weight on the rim, you would be throwing the whole balance out of wack. Get rid of the weight!, and absolutely stay away from that Honda shop. Anybody that says that it is normal for cruisers to shake needs to find another profession!!

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts

·
Shifted into first gear
131 Posts
When I changed my rear tire last year to a car tire (195/60-16) Dynabeads web site called for 2oz of beads.
They have since changed the listing to 3oz and that's what I put in same size replacement tire.
Tire is mounted, ready to go, but doing some other maintainance before its back on the road.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
SO on the off chance you get say an ounce to much in I wonder what happens? I just find it odd that the actual Dyna Bead site says one thing and a couple of the dealer sites say less. Its only a few bucks more for the 3 oz vs the 2oz for the rear but if 3 is too much and going to vibrate like heck I dont want to do that either. Even though I'm only changing the rear I think I'll order a kit to do both front and rear and take the weights off both and do it up with the beads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.