Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack the Intro thread, so I started another one to reply to some of the problems you're seeing with your new 250. I had similar problems myself and managed to find the answers to at least some of them :)

<<"I believe it does not like cold -- (I don't have a garage for it yet) Sometimes I have to press start button like 10 times with choker fully open.">>

All I can say to this is "no it doesn't like cold" and I *have* a garage ;P I do have to use full choke when starting mine as well. Once started, I reduce the choke to about half and let it idle some more (it will vary, listen to the engine.) I wait until the engine starts sounding like it's "racing" a little, then reduce the choke some more. I repeat this until the choke is off. Then I have to give it some thottle periodically until the engine temp gague reads about the start of the solid line after the C. This usually takes about 3-5 minutes. You may also experience the bike lurching and stalling the first time you put it into gear from neutral. This is due to the wet clutch sticking (especially when it's cold or the bike has sat for a while). It is apparently normal (or so my husband tells me.) Warming the bike up seems to minimize this.

I've read a few people say just to "get on it and go, the engine will warm up as you ride." I laugh. They must live somewhere where it's warm all year. At temps below 40, I can guarantee at least 2 stalls if you try that. Allow the bike to warm up a little and she runs fine.

<<"sometimes it wouldn't switch from neutral to 1st gear. So I have to try it several times. Not sure why it is so.">>

Ah. This was a stumper to me for a bit. I actually thought the bike had problems and was going to take it back to the dealer. The bike was fine; it's the operator that had problems ;) Make sure you are letting the shift pedal come all the way back up when you shift. If you don't, the pedal doesn't reindex properly and won't make the next shift. You get stuck in neutral as a result. A shift up into second and then back down to first will usually clear the problem, but it's a pain when you are moving. Shifting gears works like a ratchet. The lever (pedal) pressed down moves a gear one tooth in the appropriate direction in order to downshift. The pedal then returns to its original state and grabs the next tooth on the gear. If you don't let the pedal come all the way back up, it doesn't grab the next tooth on the gear properly and you can't complete the shift the next time you press the pedal.

It took me about 100 miles to figure this one out. I haven't had the problem since I got the hang of getting my foot up enough to let the shifter reindex.

I hope this helps your problems. Tips from one new lady rider to another :)

Angela

·
Registered
15 Posts
thank you so much for your advice!! I'm definately going to try what you described. :)

most likely i'll post here my results!

I noticed below your name -- it says '05 ninja 250R (just like mine :) ) and it's ebony/silver. It's a nice combination ! Mine is black & green! Kinda slightly evil!! :) just kidding...Those are my favorite colors!! (what can I say -- I'm a girl! I pick colors first!! :) )

Do you have matching gear?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acutally the Ebony/Galaxy Silver color scheme is Kawasaki's official name for the black/green color scheme; they don't count the accent colors, I guess. I ended up with the ebony bike mainly because I dislike silver vehicles of any type (that includes cars, too.) I'd have preferred blue to be honest, but I'll have to wait until I can ride and afford an '05 Ninja 500R (I love that blue ;)

<<"Do you have matching gear?">>

Not particularly. I got my gear about 3 months before getting my bike, and based it mostly on fit and function, and the fact that it was summer. I didn't want to roast, but still wanted good protection. Black, while "traditional", isn't the best color for visibility; most of my gear is blue. I hope to get a new leather riding jacket in the spring, since the textile jackets still allow air to penetrate them, even with a liner. It gets a bit chilly riding in temps below about 50F with my current gear.

Happy and safe riding!

Angela

1 - 3 of 3 Posts