Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealership the other day and was looking at the new 1700 Nomad on the floor. I'm not looking for one, but was admiring it......until I opened up one of the saddlebags. This is going to get under more than one person's hide for sure, but people, I have tackleboxes in my boat made out of sterner stuff than those bags. I was shocked at how "unsturdy" the bags seemed. I pushed on the side and could depress them by 2-3 inches at least. Has anyone else noticed this? You think I'm wrong in thinking this way? I contrasted to the slicked up RoadStar setting next to the Nomad with the Corbin mini-fairing and hard bags. Those were fully lined and very well made. It is one sick looking ride. As much as I like Kawasaki, if I were looking for a touring ride I'd have to pick the Star this time around....based on looks and feel. The ride could be totally different. And I mean no offense to owners of new Nomads........

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have to say it really sounds like an honest assessment on the bags. Go with what you feel and with the amount of money you are going to spend, you should really be picky with 'quality' these days. You can't go wrong with the Star line of bikes. Ride Safe.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I've seen the new Nomad and I tend to agree. The plastic the bags are made of is pretty darn flimsy. Not to the point where I think they wouldn't hold up during normal use, but they certainly didn't have a quality "feel" to them.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Isn't that why cr manufacturers make the doors and trunk "thunk" when you close them? So they sound and feel of better quality?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I thought the same when looking at them---cheep! My Nomad's (06) far better than the new ones. The worst ones as far as finish I've seen is the Victory Vision's- exposed threads from the bolts on the inside that will cut your hands if you aren't careful. A simple fix would be to use acorn nuts on the inside, but that would cost a whole 20 cents a piece! I mean what do you want for only $19,000!!!! BB

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
The second biggest mistake they made on the 1700 Nomad are the bags. IMO

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
Bags? on a bike? ummmmm I suppose a windsheild too. Next will be doors, pretty soon one will have a roof. Trunk+doors+roof and thats how it all starts! just joking...I've always liked my bikes as nakid as they can get.

·
Registered
864 Posts
What's the first?
MaKing it more compact, and heavier, plus the drive system and six speeds has no advantage other than marketing hype, you can't even see the belt on a Nomad anyway, it would be real interesting to see 0-60 or 1/4 mile times on the new 1700's, to say the least I'm very dissapointed in what Kaw has done! Put hardbags on a V2K and I'll be the first in line!!!!!!!! BB

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Mkaing it more compact, and heavier, plus the drive system and six speeds has no advantage other than marketing hype, you can't even see the belt on a Nomad anyway, it would be real interesting to see 0-60 or 1/4 mile times on the new 1700's, to say the least I'm very dissapointed in what Kaw has done! Put hardbags on a V2K and I'll be the first in line!!!!!!!! BB
Well that depends on the dimensions of the rider ;) Sitting on it, I definitely appreciate that the more compact dimensions. And I don't see how you can claim a belt has no advantages over a shaft. Less weight, less maintenance, better power transfer....

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
I was at the dealership the other day and was looking at the new 1700 Nomad on the floor. I'm not looking for one, but was admiring it......until I opened up one of the saddlebags. This is going to get under more than one person's hide for sure, but people, I have tackleboxes in my boat made out of sterner stuff than those bags. I was shocked at how "unsturdy" the bags seemed. I pushed on the side and could depress them by 2-3 inches at least. Has anyone else noticed this? You think I'm wrong in thinking this way? I contrasted to the slicked up RoadStar setting next to the Nomad with the Corbin mini-fairing and hard bags. Those were fully lined and very well made. It is one sick looking ride. As much as I like Kawasaki, if I were looking for a touring ride I'd have to pick the Star this time around....based on looks and feel. The ride could be totally different. And I mean no offense to owners of new Nomads........
I noticed how flimbsy the bags are also (nomad Version) Sure they open from the top instead of the side but come on Mutazu bags are studier then these. Totally disappointed.

:D
Aif

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well that depends on the dimensions of the rider ;) Sitting on it, I definitely appreciate that the more compact dimensions. And I don't see how you can claim a belt has no advantages over a shaft. Less weight, less maintenance, better power transfer....
Less weight, I'll agree with you on that. Less maintenance? How much do you have to do on a shaft drive? Better power transfer, why do most of the worlds most powerful cruisers use shafts? I see belts as one advantage for a bike maker= cheaper. My shaft drive bike doesn't require me to check anything, other than the rear fluid once a year, when I change it, that's it. I have it greased when I get new tires. You have to do the swing arms on any bike regardless of drive type at about the same intervals. I like reading all the complaints about belt noises on here, makes me happy I don't have one. Plus, you have to replace the belt many times before a properly cared for shaft drive, and they aren't cheap! Last time I looked all the "superbikes" use chains, why not belts? BB

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
What's the first?
The tank and seat combo. The seatting position it too close and the tank has bad lines....and that tongue on the seat. Ugg. JMHO, but the 1600 Nomad looks soo much better. I haven't ridden the 1700's yet so I can compare that part of the two.

·
Registered
371 Posts
MaKing it more compact, and heavier, plus the drive system and six speeds has no advantage other than marketing hype, you can't even see the belt on a Nomad anyway, it would be real interesting to see 0-60 or 1/4 mile times on the new 1700's, to say the least I'm very dissapointed in what Kaw has done! Put hardbags on a V2K and I'll be the first in line!!!!!!!! BB
I'm real curious about the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times myself.
I am entertaining the thought of doing my on trials.
There is a dragstrip about 25 miles from here. Never done any of that stuff. I know how to speed shift and I think I can avoid the rev limiter. From my playing around I can tell that shifting at the correct time is key.
Probably, should take my windshield off.
She gets out of the hole pretty quick and has a good top end but I'd still like to see some numbers.
Have to disagree with you on the 6th gear, starting to prove a gas saver on the interstate.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Flexible is good, as long as they don't shake all over the place on the road and as long as the paint doesn't stress.

Glass is pretty strong... ABS is not. If ABS is made so that it does not flex, it doesn't take much to crack and break it.... especially in cold temperatures.

I'd rather have my bags flex a little when a shopping cart rolls into it.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Less weight, I'll agree with you on that. Less maintenance? How much do you have to do on a shaft drive? Better power transfer, why do most of the worlds most powerful cruisers use shafts? I see belts as one advantage for a bike maker= cheaper. My shaft drive bike doesn't require me to check anything, other than the rear fluid once a year, when I change it, that's it. I have it greased when I get new tires. You have to do the swing arms on any bike regardless of drive type at about the same intervals. I like reading all the complaints about belt noises on here, makes me happy I don't have one. Plus, you have to replace the belt many times before a properly cared for shaft drive, and they aren't cheap! Last time I looked all the "superbikes" use chains, why not belts? BB
We'll have to agree to disagree here. Checking the fluid level once per year is one more thing than I have to do to my belt. Never heard of a belt leaking fluid or having the couplings/joints go out on it either. Noise? Adjust it properly and it goes away. And of course they don't get that nice jacking effect when you gas it. As for replacement, replacing the belt isn't on the maintenance chart for the 900. There's no interval for it unless it's damaged.

·
Registered
864 Posts
sisooktom, I only check the fluid when I change it for metalic particles, then I put fresh M1 gear oil back in it. Do you have to-no, I just do, just like coolant that I change every 2 years. Jacking? on Honda's or other bikes with short swing arms but not on a KAW, that's one of the reasons I got rid of the VTX. When I get around 100,000 miles I'll get my joints replaced, my dad's Wing went over 200,000 , even pulling a trailer with no problems. The best thing about belts and/or chain is you CAN change the drive ratio, where I had to go with a taller tire. My neighbor had his belt break on his bike when a rock somehow found its way in the rear sprocket and messed up both! BB

·
Every dog has it's day...
1,113 Posts
+1 and they're really skinny.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts