Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 600Rc Ninja is leaking fork oil for the 3rd time. It seems to leak every year. I have replaced it 2 times so far and did the dust boot as well. The fork looks good and all I can find is 2 small dimples in the surface of the metal. I do not feel any edges any where that would cause the seal to go bad.

Someone that knows this type of problem please help. I know it has to be simple and I do not want to replace the fork unless I have to.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If it takes a full year to wear the seal enough to leak, then the burr or whatever is doing the damage is probably pretty small or only contacting the seal on rare occasions. The leak should be right in line with where the rough spot is on the fork so locating the exact spot of the leak will help in identifying the problem area on the fork. The spot may be a lot higher on the fork than where it is when parked and just making contact on rare occasions like when the fork gets bottomed out. So be sure to check above and below the leaky area of the seal.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
The area around the dimples is probably high. Fork tolerances are tight and the slighest imperfection will eventually cause leakage.

·
ZX9R E1
274 Posts
If it has still got the fork antidive fitted that could be causing the seals to blow if the antidive is seized or sticking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The anti dive was acting up and I bottomed the fork one time that I know of untill I rebuilt the antidive unit. Did not think of this. Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts