Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a pretty good leak in my front right fork on my 97 kx100. i got a new back wheel coming and i really wanna ride considering i bought the bike in january and its just sat in my garage since....will it hurt anything to go for a quick spin on a leaky fork?

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no comments? cmon lol

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Your forks will be much softer, and sever friction wear will happen in there without any lubricant. I wouldn't ride it for more then a half hour on easy trails.

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i can do that. would i be able to ride longer if i take it easy on the road where there isnt much fork travel? and there is SOME oil in there so its not completely lube-less. and maybe top off the oil before i go? S&S wants 140.00 bucks to do my seals so i wanna stretch it lol. whats the worst that could happen if i over do it?

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8 hours? wow i doubt i will ride it that much just to be safe

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks ill do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
just put new seals in it i did on my 250 thought it would be hard but it wasent that hard at all. just take your time. i dint need no special tools like they said i just improvized utube gots video on fork seal replacement

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya ive watched the vids but it looks like a seal driver is pretty much mandatory and i dont have one...

·
Registered
40 Posts
i dint use a seal driver and mine went in easy with no problem. i just tap then in with a blunt instrument just a little skinnyer than the seal. just tap it a little at a time and work your way around till its all the way in you will know when it seats. it will save you a lot of $$. i havent had no leakage and i did it about 6 months ago

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i think ill go for it. thanks for your help. but im not concerned about the fork now. the rest of the bike is pretty much junk so imma have to focus my funds on bigger things....

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay i know this is an old post so sorry ahead of time, but i still havn't re-done my forks yet.. now they make a loud clicking noise when the front wheel comes up and they spring down hard. they also bottom out quite often, as well as the front end of the bike just sits about 3/4" lower than when the forks are all the way down. im thinking about doing new seals finally but im not sure if i should order bushings too because im pretty sure that the bushings are whats making that clicking noise and im assuming that they have pancaked a little because of all the abuse. what should i do? new seals only or a bushing kit as well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts