Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need to remove my front forks on my 1500 classic in order to have the fork tubes refinished due to some scratches. I have a past Honda motorcycle mechanic that will help me do this in my garage this week. I don't believe that he has a Kawasaki service manual and was wondering if there was any online reference that I could print to help with this procedure. Would be nice to know exacltly how much fork oil it takes, any torque specifications etc. I picked up some new fork seals, wipers and fork oil for this. I've also borrowed a bike lift from a neighbor. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Dick the forks can be removed rather easilly. If your just polishing the lower down tubes theirs no need to break down the shock. Chroming's a different story. As far as oil just call your dealer an ask the service manager to look an see how much is suppose to be in tube. I've got an 800 and swapped out the front springs to progressive with 15 weight oil and the service manager checked an it took 10 1/2 oz. Just so everyone else knows,it's recommended to change fork oil every 2 or 3 yrs.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thats what I plan on doing, polishing the lower tubes and having them re-anodized. So I really don't have to take apart the springs, etc in order to do this? Dealer says that each fork take 395cc of oil. Not sure what that converts to in non-metric measurement. I'll have to find a conversion chart.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Since your anodizing the tubes your gonna have to break down the shocks so they can dip the tubes an repolish then anodize. I would recommend replacing the springs with progressive since you've got them out anyway , they will improve the ride an handling of the bike.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Woodchuck. I'm not familiar with bike suspensions so are the progressive springs just that, a couple of springs? And since they are non Kawasaki parts where would you suggest I order them? Also is that all I need are two springs? No other modifications necessary? Like I said I did pick up the Kawasaki fork seals and oil from the dealer. thks.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Read about them on cruisercustomizing, two new replacement springs are all they are. For everyone else you dont have to do a major shock rebuild all that is neccessary is get the front end off the ground pop the plastic caps on top of the triple tree push down on the spring cap remove the snap ring pull the old spring up an out slowly so the oil doesn't drip all over the place, an replace or change the oil to 15 wt. then replace.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, after reading all of those favorable reviews regarding the progressive springs at customcruising I was sold. I've placed my order and hope to get them soon. This past summer I did an awful lot of riding and I've often thought that the front springs were way too soft. I was surprised at how quickly the front-end would bottom out. Hopefully this will put an end to it. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope the anodizing goes well and restores the original look of those tubes!!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The bottoming out will be gone. Use 15 wt. oil when you change them,it will help also. You'll like the feel after words. When you get the springs you will see that they are coiled tighter on one end put it to the top thats the part that make it feel stock until you put a load on it an it firms up . Or at least thats how I can explain it. Keep us updated on the repair an rebuild Dick.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, the forks are back on the bike with the new "progressive" springs recommended by fellow forum members. I had the lower fork tubes basically polished on a lathe and then re-anodized to seal them. I like the look better then the brushed machine look. The polished aluminum is about as close as you are going to get to a "chromed" look and the price was right, $75 for both forks. I used the recommended 15w oil with the progressive springs and had to fabricate (cut with hacksaw) my own 4" pvc spacer since progressive does not supply these. I also used new rubber seals although the originals looked new. My V & H Longshots are due to UPS arrive this tuesday so I'm hoping that I can have them on along with the carb rejet by next weekend. Also hope that the pipe job goes as well as the spring job!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts