Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After today's lesson with Charles, I noted a thick, clear liquid coating the right fork, just above the cylinder. There was also a little splatter around the frame in the same area. I wiped the fork clean, then rocked the bike to make the fork compress. The liquid reappeared.

I am guessing that a fork seal has blown and needs to be fixed. Or maybe it doesn't... I don't know. I, however, prefer to play the side of caution. I was just wondering how much such a job typically costs. Cycle is a Honda VT1100C.

Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
From your description it does sound like you have blown the seal. You should replace both seals at the same time.

Can't help you on the cost. Seals are fairly cheap, but I've done the work myself so...if the dealer has to take apart the whole front end and replace the seals, oil, & yada...that's probably got to be an estimate of 3-4 hours of work. And that might be generous. Hopefully some of the members who wrench for a living will chim in.

In the past I've also pulled the tubes and taken them to a local mechanic, supplying all the parts. Saves on the cost quite a bit.

:cool:

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Have you tried using a 35mm film negative slid between the seal and tube to possibly dislodge some debris causing it to not seal properly?

If you search for (Seal Mate- not sure of spelling), there is a tool some company has made.

If that doesn't do it, then it needs to be replaced.

A dealership should have the proper tools to replace the seals. It is one of those jobs where the parts are kind of cheap, but the labor hours are kind of high, especially on a street bike.

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't followed up on this one. Thanks for the input, people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts