Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bike torn apart for various reasons the other night. My buddy started comparing his forks to mine. (04 636 vs. 95 zx6r) He thinks that inverted forks would fit on my 95.

What do you guys think? I'm always up for customizing, but would like an opinion before shelling out the cash for the tree.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Measure the dimensions on the steering head of both frames. THEN measure the steering stems on both sets of forks. If the dimensions match, you've got it made.

Otherwise? It's either time to modify one, or the other, or stay away from swapping it out. Choice is yours, mi amigo :D:D

Hope this helps

Spoone

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not recommend doing a swap to the USD style forks. The USD forks are a lot stiffer than a traditional style fork. Kawasaki has designed the frame of the new bikes to handle the stiffness of the USD forks. The 95 model frame is not designed to take the amount of flex that the USD forks will put on it. In laymen's terms, you will get extreme chaise flex when you’re leaned over in a corner and hit a bump, putting your self in harms way if you’re not ready to counter act the inputs. On the non-safety stand point, you stand a chance of damaging your frame because of the excess torsion. More than likely the first place you will start seeing damage is cracks in the weld where the steering stem joins to the main spars.

If you want to do a fork swap I recommend going to a 98-99 model fork set up. They are 46mm in OD on the sliders, where the 95-97 models are 44mm. They also have 6 piston calipers and larger rotors. (Which is my reason for wanting this up grade) The small increase in size of the forks will not cause the damage that the USD forks from the new bikes would.

What it comes down to is; Do you want to spend the money on a good upgrade and spare your frame, or do you want the "cool" USD forks and put your frame and more importantly your own life in danger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts