Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ok I know that this is a dead horse question but I believe that the answer can only be made for specific peoples specs.

About me and my bike.

I have a 03 Meanie with a new mustang touring seat. I will be adding 16" kongs in a week. I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam.

I had planned originally to put on forward controls but after hearing that the mustang seat moves you back 2" I decided to wait. well now that I have the seat I am back to thinking I need forward controls but I am not sure which ones to get. obviously the choices are the 4" mapams or the 6" jardins. on the stock pegs my knees are at a 90 degree and my knees are even with the top of the tank. I would prefer to get the jardins because I would like to get the mini floorboards for it as well. How ever because I am freshly returning to riding and new to cruisers I am concerned about having my legs to straight out with no bend and not having the feeling of control. I am by no means an expert rider but I am not as shaky as I was.

I have read all the post but most the time people just say what inseam they have and that they got this control or that control and they love them. But what I would like to know is how straight are your legs or or what kind of bend do you have at the knee.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Well, I just mentioned this in your other thread...but I think Mapam has gone out of business.

I had Mapam's on my old MS and loved them. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and they fit perfect. I looked at the Jardine forwards but thought the pegs sat too high for my liking. In my opinion, if you can find a set of Mapams somewhere...buy them.

Oh, and I personally wouldn't worry about mini-floorboards on a Mean Streak anyways.....it's riding style begs for pegs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for riding style of the bike I'm no dragster or speed demon but i got the bike for a song and was planning on getting a harley later on but have decided to customize this one to my likings and hold of on the harley for a few years. I plan to make this bike cruiser chopper style.

And you can still find mapams.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it appears that while you can still find mapam fwd controls you can not find them for a meanie so i guess I have no choice but to go with the jardine's

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
OK so I found mapams for my bike now I am back to my question again
While the Jardine's are longer in theory, they sit higher than the Mapam's so I think the gains may be lost their. Again, I was 110% satisifed with the Mapam forwards on my old MS and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK well I had decided to get Mapams but the place I was gonna get them from didn't update so they don't actually have them.

So now I am stuck with stock or Jardine but i don't want to fork out money and have them not work if anyone out there has Jardine forward controls and has an inseam of around 33" if you could post pics of you on your bike so i can see how far out your legs go I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
OK well I had decided to get Mapams but the place I was gonna get them from didn't update so they don't actually have them.

So now I am stuck with stock or Jardine but i don't want to fork out money and have them not work if anyone out there has Jardine forward controls and has an inseam of around 33" if you could post pics of you on your bike so i can see how far out your legs go I would greatly appreciate it.
It's been so long since I had that bike. I know that a fellow member here has a picture of me riding it that might help. I'll see what I can do to hunt it down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well that looks to be what i am looking for unfortunitly I cant find mapams anywhere been searching for a week now. so now I need to see some pictures of jardines so that I can decide if the jardines will be to far forward

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found Mapams just to be sure its what i want. trikebubble inseam is crotch to the floor or to ankle bone. and another question can you install hiway bars with the mapams.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok Ok I know that this is a dead horse question but I believe that the answer can only be made for specific peoples specs.

About me and my bike.

I have a 03 Meanie with a new mustang touring seat. I will be adding 16" kongs in a week. I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam.

I had planned originally to put on forward controls but after hearing that the mustang seat moves you back 2" I decided to wait. well now that I have the seat I am back to thinking I need forward controls but I am not sure which ones to get. obviously the choices are the 4" mapams or the 6" jardins. on the stock pegs my knees are at a 90 degree and my knees are even with the top of the tank. I would prefer to get the jardins because I would like to get the mini floorboards for it as well. How ever because I am freshly returning to riding and new to cruisers I am concerned about having my legs to straight out with no bend and not having the feeling of control. I am by no means an expert rider but I am not as shaky as I was.

I have read all the post but most the time people just say what inseam they have and that they got this control or that control and they love them. But what I would like to know is how straight are your legs or or what kind of bend do you have at the knee.
I am 6'4", 34 inseam, 205 pounds.
bike: vn2000
Set up: Jardine forward controls, 17" kong bars, Mustang profiler seat (drops you down and back compared to stock).

I am very happy with my set up. You are on the right path to setting up your bike. I don't know about the other forward controls, but I am happy with the Jardines. Only problem with the Jardines is that they make matching grips and passenger pegs. Sooo, it ended up costing me: $700+ for the controls, grips were $150 and the rear pegs another ******.

Here's a picture of the current setup:
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/marycarol00/utf-8BRmVibmV3dGFjaC5qcGc.jpg

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I had Jardines on my 2004 Meanie. I also had the mini-boards with them.

I'm 6' 3", but I have a 30" inseam. I could reach them just fine. With my legs out straight I could rest my heel on the pegs.

The mini-boards were an awesome addition. On longer trips they gave unlimited foot positions. I used them a lot.

I never rode with the stock pegs---they were way too cramped for me. They kind of locked me in position to where I couldn't move my feet around to shift/brake. So I had the Jardines installed before I took delivery.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had Jardines on my 2004 Meanie. I also had the mini-boards with them.

I'm 6' 3", but I have a 30" inseam. I could reach them just fine. With my legs out straight I could rest my heel on the pegs.

The mini-boards were an awesome addition. On longer trips they gave unlimited foot positions. I used them a lot.

I never rode with the stock pegs---they were way too cramped for me. They kind of locked me in position to where I couldn't move my feet around to shift/brake. So I had the Jardines installed before I took delivery.
I did not know Jardine offered this option:) I swear, after 4 years of purchases for this bike, I said that I was finally done last month with the tach. I quit!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so thanks to trike i have pictures of some one on a meanie with mapams. I know both mapams and jardine are both good quality, If some one with a meanie and jardines could post a pic of them on the bike so i could see fittment I would greatly appreciate it. I want to be sure I don't get to stretched out since i'm new to cruisers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Mapams on mine. Don't have any pics right now BUT if you rest the back of your foot, the skinny part behind your ankle over your stock pegs, that is where the Mapams will be.
Another thing is you can change the pegs on the Mapams by using Kury adapter #8802 and then you can use any of the Kuryaken pegs.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Ok so thanks to trike i have pictures of some one on a meanie with mapams. I know both mapams and jardine are both good quality, If some one with a meanie and jardines could post a pic of them on the bike so i could see fittment I would greatly appreciate it. I want to be sure I don't get to stretched out since i'm new to cruisers.
See my post above----I added pics of the Meanie I used to have. I found these 2 of me on the bike.

This one you can see how my legs are bent when riding----and like I said, I have short legs for my height. I wear either 30 or 32 length jeans, depending on who makes them. Without shoes----I walk on the cuffs of 32's...LOL

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I did not know Jardine offered this option:) I swear, after 4 years of purchases for this bike, I said that I was finally done last month with the tach. I quit!
You are never done. If its not mods for the bike----its new riding gear. Then it will be a new bike and it all starts again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You are never done. If its not mods for the bike----its new riding gear. Then it will be a new bike and it all starts again.
No, seriously, I said I was done. I know this hobby is an "endless upgrade". However, I really felt my bike was finally completed last month. The mini boards are a good quality addition, makes sense. I will buy them, then I am done, till my next bike (prob. sooner than later):-D

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
No, seriously, I said I was done. I know this hobby is an "endless upgrade". However, I really felt my bike was finally completed last month. The mini boards are a good quality addition, makes sense. I will buy them, then I am done, till my next bike (prob. sooner than later):-D

Do you have any idea how many times I have said I am done---the bike is just the way I want it:tongue:

I really believed it when I said it, too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts