Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to wait (read never actually stop but right at the speed just before stopping) through about a 200 yrd bumper to bumper gate control traffic to get onto the Arsenal here in Huntsville. This is always one of those things that tests my riding skills just because it is very hard to travel very slow without dropping your feet (in other works keeping your balance while almost at a stop). This morning was my first through the gates with a new darkside tire. I was not expecting this difference but it is there and it is significant. Much less wobble tendancy when at very low (sub walking) speeds. Very nice.

One more plus to a long list!

·
Big, Bald, Beautiful!
283 Posts
Heh, I've heard that "plus" before in other discussions... I go through some of that type of traffic as well.

What tire did ya put on your custom?

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up with a General Altima HP 195/65 R15. Either the 185 or the 195 will work. I was already running a 200 Metz on the rear so I went with the wide choice. Now it looks really wide just because the width of the tire is continued all the way to the ground.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
That's a good thing to know. Getting more and more intrigued by the dark side here. I was searching around for a car tire for my 1600 Classic which is a 16 inch wheel. The shaft drive imposes clearance problems just as it does with a cycle tire. The widest cycle tire that will fit is a 180 and a 195 car tire will be very very close. So in the car tires, getting into a 16 inch wheel there's not a lot out there that will give me the profile height I need also, I'd imagine no less than a 65 or 60. It's a fairly narrow market for these sizes. Admittedly I've only checked Tire Rack but I imagine they are a good representation of what is out there.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capt. Rando,

Have you checked the tire recommendations table on the darside forum? It is a pretty exhustive list (don't mean you aren't the exception).

·
Registered
621 Posts
That's a good thing to know. Getting more and more intrigued by the dark side here. I was searching around for a car tire for my 1600 Classic which is a 16 inch wheel. The shaft drive imposes clearance problems just as it does with a cycle tire. The widest cycle tire that will fit is a 180 and a 195 car tire will be very very close. So in the car tires, getting into a 16 inch wheel there's not a lot out there that will give me the profile height I need also, I'd imagine no less than a 65 or 60. It's a fairly narrow market for these sizes. Admittedly I've only checked Tire Rack but I imagine they are a good representation of what is out there.
I run a General Evertack HP 205/60-16 on my 2008 Nomad. I have no clearance issues, it close to the drive shaft but that's it.
This is my bike,
Dark Side pictures by pooker_langton - Photobucket

check out the data base for the Dark Side,
http://darkside.nwff.info/database.php

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
On the other hand if the road surface is grooved or rutted...........WOW. Don't let it catch you sleeping.

Still, too many positives to ever go back.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pooker,

Thanks for the pics. Wow! Now that is what I call close. And you get no rub at all?
No rubbing what so ever, I have leaned the bike and dragged the floorboards, the bike handled like a dream.
The car tire has improved the comfort level 100% and has improved the handling of the bike in wet weather.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
I was comparing the difference between the swing arm on the 1600 Classic and the Nomad. The parts numbers are slightly different, that being the last four numbers after the hyphen; 33001-0042 for the Nomad vs. 33001-0077 for the Classic. I assuming this denotes the difference for the mounting holes of the chrome shaft cover on the Classic and not any difference in width. This is logical since the bikes use the same rear wheel.

I saw quite a few Nomads using 205's in the dark side database but no Classics, which is what I have. I'm very curious as to why I've always heard that a 200 motorcycle tire would never work on a 1600 but not hearing that a 205 car tire will fit.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was comparing the difference between the swing arm on the 1600 Classic and the Nomad. The parts numbers are slightly different, that being the last four numbers after the hyphen; 33001-0042 for the Nomad vs. 33001-0077 for the Classic. I assuming this denotes the difference for the mounting holes of the chrome shaft cover on the Classic and not any difference in width. This is logical since the bikes use the same rear wheel.

I saw quite a few Nomads using 205's in the dark side database but no Classics, which is what I have. I'm very curious as to why I've always heard that a 200 motorcycle tire would never work on a 1600 but not hearing that a 205 car tire will fit.
Looks like you will have to do some more digging! Good Luck man.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Another "plus" is that you probably won't have to use the side stand either :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts