Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I scored a GPZ oil cooler on ebay today. I looked at the oil pan on my 1980 kz750h1 and it has a plug bolt at the back end of the pan, is this the access for an oil cooler fitting and line? If I can use the original oil pan it sure would save some work and time. Do I have to have a different oil pump/pickup than what is on my bike, to run an oil cooler? I apprecaite any help/advise. Thanks in advance.:mrgreen:

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
I don't remember if the 750 H1 was a twin or four? On my 650 four the bolt on the back rear of the oil pan can be removed, and a special fitting installed to use for an oil cooler; BUT the fitting also blocks off the oil galley. It does this in order to redirect the oil out the fitting to the cooler. What I'm saying is you just can't remove the bolt and hook up some kind of barb fitting for a hose, you must use the special fitting. And you will also need a second fitting that will attach on the right side of the engine.

You can use the same oil pump you have in there now.

Both fittings are sold by Klasmo (in Europe). I think American Classix (sp?) also sells the fittings. The second fitting I speak of is common, and could be bought at any fitting-hose supply shop.
I also have some drawings somewhere on how to make the oilpan fitting if you feel creative and have a lathe. Let me look around.
Kent

OK, heres a link to the plans. http://tinyurl.com/38krel

Have you thought about searching salvage yards or ebay for a 750Gpz oil pan? It will swap right in, and probably the cheapest, easiest way to go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil cooler

Kent, thanks for the great info, I really appreciate it. My bike is the four cylinder. I will probably try to find a gpz750 oil pan because I don't want to take the chance of damaging my motor.
Does it have to be the same year as my bike (1980) and same cc (750) or is there a range of years and would a gpz650cc oil pan work?
And thanks for posting the link.:p

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
I know the Gpz750 oil pans fit on the 650, and they didn't make a Gpz650. I'm guessing here, ok, but I believe the 650 and 750 share the same block. If you find a Gpz750 oil pan it will fit your 750 engine.

Let me check by cross referencing some part numbers.

Here's another link to show you what to do with the fittings.
http://tinyurl.com/17a

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the additional info Kent. Do you have another link because I cannot get the last link you posted to work.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts