Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey how are you im having a problem with my 05 zx6r i just tried to start her up for the first time this season i forgot to use the battery tender i tried to charge the battery it wouldnt charge when i had the charger on the battery and tried to start her the gauge acted all weird you couldnt hear the computer or the fuel pump come on and you heard a clicking coming from the left side of the bike under the tail the bike has less then 2800 miles please help if you or any one else can it would be great thanks

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hey how are you im having a problem with my 05 zx6r i just tried to start her up for the first time this season i forgot to use the battery tender i tried to charge the battery it wouldnt charge when i had the charger on the battery and tried to start her the gauge acted all weird you couldnt hear the computer or the fuel pump come on and you heard a clicking coming from the left side of the bike under the tail the bike has less then 2800 miles please help if you or any one else can it would be great thanks
Start with the fuses, and hope it wasn't the CDI box croaking.

Never, never, never try to start a bike with a battery charger hooked to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my cam shaft may need adjustment. there is a chatter comming from the low end of my engine. its a 77 kz650 b....I was told the sound could be a worn or mis adjusted cham chain or possibly a stretched primary chain. Any help would be apprecieated....no local mechanics are willing to work on as old of a rigg. Cincinnati kawasaki mechanic needed......or a how to book...I have the haynes ... any ideas of feed back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't done anything as of yet. I let the bike sit for over a year,shot some starting fluid into the air in takes and it started running.....I just have the issue of the chatter.. Lets pretend Im 3 and I need to know exactly where I should begin. Have tools will work. Ask me more and tell me everything.
kz down Cincinnati frown

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Please post this in the Vintage section. There are several people there that will help you more than I can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very informative. Frustrated by all the misplaced replies to this post. That said, I'm a new joiner and posted my own "maintenance help needed" post. Thanks for all your insight. Wish it applied to my issue...*sigh*

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rust in my fuel tank

My mechanic told me I have rust in my fuel tank and it is messing up my carbs. he suggested I replace the tank and give the carbs an overhaul.

Is there a temporary solution? What about a fuel filter?

'97 KZ1000 police
Its my first ride and I have only owned it for about a month.

I have been having issues with not being able to get it up past 60mph and the mix being so rich I'm getting only about 12mpg.

any advice or do I trust the shop?

·
Registered
4 Posts
GPX 750 - Starting Problems

Hi, I'm new to this forum as I am to biking. I have just bought a GPX 750 as a non-runner. I could really do with some help with the problem I have getting the bike started. My name is Gareth and I've not ridden for about 20 years. I bought the bike as a winter project. Is the Trouble Shooting Guide in downloadable format - I can't seem to find a link to it? It looks as though it should be extremely useful.

I wonder if anyone could help me with the problem I have please? I'm trying to start the bike from the point of making sure the coils and HT leads are wired correctly. I know the firing order is 1-2-4-3, but is this looking from the front of the engine - exhausts - or from the back of the engine - carbs? I know that seems like a very daft question. Also, can anyone send me a picture of how the coils are wired please? I've tested the spark across all HT's and they seem reasonable. I do need to replace the plugs but they are no so bad to inhibit starting. I'm also after information regarding the vacuum fuel tap. How does this work and is there anything obvious to look for in trying to diagnose if it's working or not? The bike turns over fine and I think the compression is good. I've been cranking the bike over and occasionally it will fire but nothing significant - more like a phut! than a thump! (Apologies for the terminology). I think it's fired back into a carb as much as into the exhaust.

I would be extremely grateful of any help.

Kind regards :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Right.
First things first.
I believe looking from the rear of the engine (carb side) to determine firing order.

What i'd suggest to do fisrt an foremost, is to take out spark plugs, and pour about one small bottle cap of clean petrol directly into each cylinder.

Then put plugs back in and HT lead on as they are, then turn the engine over.

It may give a big loud pop from carbs and/ or exhaust, so brace yourself lol.

But providing everything is right, it shud fire and maybe run briefly.

If still no luck, then it could be a number of things really.

I think the coils are under the petrol tank arent they... If this is the case, they are probly one on the left and one on the right, each with two output HT wires.

One coil fires cylinders 1 and 4, and the other coil fires 2 and 3.
On my bike, its like this:

Left Coil = 1 and 4
Right Coil = 2 and 3.

The HT leads lengths may give an idea as to where they go as well, providing the inputs havent been messed with of course.

If that is the case, try changing the HT spark leads around so that:

Left Coil = 2 and 3
Right Coil = 1 and 4.

Thats of course if they reach.

If it is sparking, and popping, then i'd think that means they are connected right in the first place.

Anyways, try the thing i said above with the fuel in the cylinders, and let me know yeah.

JT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi JT,

I've got the bike firing on two cylinders. These are 3 and 4 or 4 and 3. I think this tells me that the fuel vacuum system is working. Tomorrow night I'll strip down the carbs and check for blockages. Do you know how to get the air box out. It looks as though it splits in two. Do I need to split it and pull it out in two? This seems very brutal as it really does not want to come past the carbs.

Look forward to your advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi JT,

I've got the bike firing on two cylinders. These are 3 and 4 or 4 and 3. I think this tells me that the fuel vacuum system is working. Tomorrow night I'll strip down the carbs and check for blockages. Do you know how to get the air box out. It looks as though it splits in two. Do I need to split it and pull it out in two? This seems very brutal as it really does not want to come past the carbs.

Look forward to your advice.
Hey man.
Sounds good. Its definately a progressive start.

Your gonna need a can of WD-40 spray there i think.
I dont think u will get the air box past the carbs at all unless it does split in two.
U can try splitting it if it look like it does, but it might just be a join line and u dont wanna damage it.
As far as i am aware, they dont split.
If it dont split, then that means the carbs come out first.
Slacken all clamps and remove all cables and spray WD-40 around the front and rear of carbs.
Try to pull the airbox as far back as it will go.
Now pull the carbs backwards, away from the engine.
This is quite difficult to do as the rubber parts do tend to perish over long periods of time, and become hard.
Usually its just the ones on the airbox that go solid.

With a fair amout of force and technique, its possible to twist the carbs forwards or backwards on the same axis as the throttle bodies.
Basically, stradle the machine, and grab both sides of the carbs with each hand, and twist forwards or backwards, whichever way it feels like it wants to go really.

Now, it may just be possible to push with one hand an pull with the other as its in the twisted position.
Although, on one bike i had, it took 2 of us to get the buggers out.
So perhaps ask someone to be on standby in case u need a bit of extra help lol.

Hopefull this has been of some help to ya :)

John.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks John,

I'll be doing this over the weekend so will report back how it goes. Hopefully, with carbs out, stripped and cleaned, replaced and the bike started to a reasuring purr!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
will not start

I have a 1990 gpz 500 engone in a go kart the engine will not fire it turns over fine ,I have power to the CDI ignitor is there some wire which needs to connected ie kick start or clutch or do Kawasaki fit some form of anti theft device ??

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 1990 gpz 500 engone in a go kart the engine will not fire it turns over fine ,I have power to the CDI ignitor is there some wire which needs to connected ie kick start or clutch or do Kawasaki fit some form of anti theft device ??

Yeah, they have 2 wires from the kick stand and 3 wires from the clutch. I think there maybe one that works from the neutral light as well.

Not sure on the colours of these wires at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 1997 KZ1000P and it has been sitting up for awhile. I had George at WG Carbs rebuild the carbs and he did a great job. I got it back together and took it for a ride. I noticed that it would not go over 55mph. It has strong pickup power until it gets to @55mph. It idles good. What do I need to do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Air cleaner clogged, poorly sealed, or missing
What are the symptoms the engine experiences without a air cleaner, other than long term exposer to dirt causing carb problems? Does performance drop or improve when you run the motor without an air cleaner?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put in a brand new air filter and it seemed like it was put in right. I will take it out tomorrow and test drive it. Just feels like no power when I get to @55mph.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts