Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on frame mounted highway pegs for my 04 meany.
Anyone use these? I'm also looking for as cheap as possible...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got some of these from another forum member last week. I am 5'9" and they are just right for me. He was 6'1" and they were just not far enough forward for him. I love them but if you are any taller than me highway bars with pegs may be your best option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im 6 even.. i was affraid of that.. but the bar i want is 280+ might get stuck with having to throw down on it.. hoping to get by cheaper for a while.. although a highway/crash bar might not be such a bad investment protection wise.

·
Reborn Biker
89 Posts
I am the guy Spanglerm2000 got those pegs from. I am 6'4". Had to go with engine guard and highway pegs to match. Those that I sold are the only ones that I found that fit the vulcan frame. They actually mount on the engine mount bolts on the bike. Very cool, but not not practical if you are taller than what Spanglerm2000 said. Besides, guard and pegs have way more options. You might check into getting forward controls for more leg room, but they are priceyer than guards and pegs.

By the way, I'm glad they worked for you Spanglerm2000!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the process of making a set for my vulcan. So far the most exspensive part will be the chroming. When I'm done I'll let you know how much and post pics.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I use frame mounted pegs and they work quite well. Thankfully another forum member made me a good deal on them and I had to buy the extensions/offsets I wanted. What I do not like about them is that they are difficult to keep tight against the frame. If I have time this summer I will drill and tap each side for a set screw that will seat against the frame. With the extensions on these pegs I am sure there is more leverage applied than a person would realize by just "resting" their foot against them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got my guard for my 04 meanie from J C Whitney, best price I could find and looks good. At 6'-4" the foot pegs on it allow you to streach out really well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking forward to seeing the pics.

I can see the reason for extensions, i tried to guesstimate a bout where the pegs would mount and the tank is so fat you would have to use like 3" extension.

Could you post me a link of the jc bar?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Freeway Bars - JCWhitney These are not the ones I got, I guess they do not carry them anymore. I typed in the catalog # from my receipt and got "0" results. I paid $135 in Aug of 05, so Cobra guard for $190 isn't too bad.

You could google 04 mean streak engine guard/ freeway bars and look around for the best price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't remember the manufacturer of the one I bought, but it is well worth the money if can afford it. If you drop it once, it has more than paid for itself by preventing damage to your bike. Sorry about the job situation, hope everything works out for you.

Let me edit that: if you drop it while standing still or at very low speed it will protect lights, tank, ect. If you drop it while doing any kind of speed, it doesn't help much. My cousin hit a deer in PA with his Victory @ about 35 - 40 mph. The engine guard folded back pinning his leg against the engine. But still good just for the leg room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts