Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can frame tubing be wire welded? I have fair experience with wire welding, but no other type. The tubing in question is 1-1/4" DOM .125" wall mild steel for a hard tail mod. The welder is a standard 90 amp wire. I can borrow one with more amps if necessary.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Are you talking about flux-core or mig? Because I would not use a mig without gas in something like a frame. That gas or flux is there to shield the weld from contaminates and without it the weld will be brittle.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Yes, you can "MIG" weld the frame tubing. Its the process Kawasaki used and still uses on their production frames.You better know what your doing though because your life depends on the quality of the weld! 90 amps is plenty hot if your using .022-.030 E71T-11 wire with NOS gas,(75%argon,25%carbon dioxide). PS! Everybody has experience in driving nails,....but it dont make them a carpenter. If that weld dosent properly penetrate both members, your going to find out when you roll into a corner and load those tubes with the gyro effects from the wheel, loading and unloading of the sprocket! Most hard tail connections are gusseted for those reasons.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I agree with zoro, it better be a quality weld since it is the frame. I took welding in vo-tech back in 81-82 and can weld with oxy/acetylene, stick, mig and tig so know a little about the subject.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I've seen some pretty good welds made using the welding machines sold at like lowes or home depot using the higher amp machines,220 volt DC. I've only used one once. Most of my welding has been on heavier stuff useing a dualshield wire or stick welding. Too low amprage you'll be doing short arc, not good. I got out of welding last year, 40 yrs I had enough. Talk to a professional supplier and get info on what to use. Good luck

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
You must have a reason for wanting a hard tail ride, I can't think of a good one, like fairwind says, find one to ride. What happen to your bike that you need to change it?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i like to use tig to weld on frames ,useing a roosette style of welding.where you use a slug (or soild round stock) inside the tube to strengthen the joint. ,you drill a couple of 1/4 inch holes about 1 inch up from the joint that is goin to be welded on both sides of the joint,slide the slug in one end of the tube and and weld up one of the holes to hold the slug still.then slide the other frame rail on to the slug and weld the holes up.then weld the seam as hot as you can cause now your not goin to burn through the pipe and itll be the strongest part of the frame after your done. you can use a mig and turn that heat up and make sure you use a gas wire and turn the gas all the way up on flow for that will give you a hotter arc and a flater smoother bead.or yeah when you weld those holes up hot hot hot is what is needed penitration is key in a good frame weld, as some one said you dont want to make a turn and half the bike goes that way and your going this way not good.

hope this will aid you in your mod -corey-

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
yep, but E71T-11 is a self shield wire.... E71T-1 is a dual shield...
Do you know the heat number of a black coat hanger as opposed to a gray one? I dont! But I do know my welding experience far exceeds "Googles" programed knowledge! In fact, Google still represented an infinite number and a 64K RAM computer was a dream yet to become a public reality! With that said and without brushing the dust off old "manuals, notes and logs,"and WITHOUT using Gods name Ill disclose the fact that any T-11,Coreshield 11, Intershield NR-211-MP, etc. and the list goes on, is a mild steel, limited MP, limited thickness application wire when used without gas coverage. Heres where it gets really good! When you add the NOS gas coverage to the 3G & 4G rated wires in question, slower deposition rates can be achieved, for a concise application critical and restricted applications where strength is maximized with minimal heat stress to base materials! Such as a bike frame, a tube chassis, or even T-10 boiler tube! That aint all.... but thats all Im giving you. Care to give a little of your of your background? Vo-Tech? LOL! Simply put, Its refining a refined process! PS. kopcicle's correct, it is duelshield and beyond standard A-36 structural applications. You didnt note your Local#,your not a "rat" are you?

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
and dont even think of using gas pipe instead of tubing..
Gas pipe? Who mentioned gas pipe! Heres a golden question, what is the difference between pipe and tubing? And Paul, I only use coat hanger filler rod when gas welding rusty old exhaust systems! I was delivering a sarcastic rebuttal to the comment made by a previous poster who felt the need to use God in an attack against my integrity,knowledge and experience in welding applications. It was not directed at you or hardtail.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Heres a golden question, what is the difference between pipe and tubing?
Umm... Pipe is made for plumbing. :tongue: :lol: Not being a metal person or a welder my guess would be pipe is thicker walled, probably mfg by a different process and from a different alloy but thats just swag's.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Umm... Pipe is made for plumbing. :tongue: :lol: Not being a metal person or a welder my guess would be pipe is thicker walled, probably mfg by a different process and from a different alloy but thats just swag's.
Nice try Mike, For you I will reveal the answer that eludes many mechanical engineers! The difference is only in the measurement of the material. Pipe is measured by its inside diameter, and Tube is measured by outside diameter, Its simply ID and OD. All the variables involved in wall thicknesses, alloys, materials, uses, shapes and methods of production apply to both Pipe and Tubing. Thats it, I wonder what kind of responses this is going to generate? Merry Christmas Michael, and to all!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.