Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a '93 ZX-6E. Can't wait for summer so I can ride it.

I'm looking to put some upgrades on, and I was wondering if there are any suggestions for exhaust, jetting, airbox, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
welcome to the forum, glad you got a new ride. Taken the MSF course? if not I would suggest it in the spring. It'll save you skin and money.

get some pictures of that bike on here for us all to see.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Use your money for training and gear, I wouldn't spend any money upgrading the bike. Use it as a learning tool and when you'll have the skills to take it to the limit then consider trading in on something newer, faster.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
training

I plan on taking the MSF course in the spring. I have a helmet, gloves, jacket. Not really into the full leathers. Might look at getting some boots. I'll post some pics after this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I'd suggest wearing as much gear as your comfortable with. Its best to wear all of it all the time, but sometimes that is hard to do. (commuting and whatnot)

www.newenough.com for your gear, they are great people (I don't work for them in any way) get some armored gloves if you don't already have some, you'll love the ability to keep knuckles together and kick some butt if needed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: training

michiganarft11 said:
I plan on taking the MSF course in the spring. I have a helmet, gloves, jacket. Not really into the full leathers. Might look at getting some boots. I'll post some pics after this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.
Great start, really, but you'll want the boots, particularly if you have a getoff. As far as pants go...get a zip-together pair that will match your jacket, and if you decide to ride year 'round, do what I did. I ended up with a Joe Rocket pair of Ballistic 4.0 pants, and a Meteor Jacket..they zip together, are *totally* waterproof, and are also good on warmer days..
Get the right gear...you'll be happy for it, and your body will thank you for protecting it if you have one of those "whoops" moments...

ZX

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gear

I won't be riding year round, it gets a little too cold and icy here in Michigan. I don't have armored gloves, but I'm sure I have a roll of quarters somewhere :) . Once spring hits, then I'll be able to ride a little, and see exactly what I think I'll need as far as gear. Boots are an almost sure thing. Anywhere you suggest to look?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: Gear

michiganarft11 said:
I won't be riding year round, it gets a little too cold and icy here in Michigan. I don't have armored gloves, but I'm sure I have a roll of quarters somewhere :) . Once spring hits, then I'll be able to ride a little, and see exactly what I think I'll need as far as gear. Boots are an almost sure thing. Anywhere you suggest to look?
www.newenough.com and look at closeouts and also used gear, I've seen the used stuff first hand and it is always perfect, not even broken in. They have good deals on their regular stuff too. I'm looking at either some Sidi or alpinestar boots. Just can't decide.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Enough with all this gear talk!!!! I think you should use your hard earned $$$ however you want.. Not that I am against gear cuz I think it is crucial well atleast helmet, gloves and jacket but, if you want to do some upgrades on the bike you should think about what you want the bike to do for you... Do you plan on just cruisin around the roads or do you plan on doing some hard riding... There is a difference... Do you plan on doing any stunts on the bike cuz that sounds like a good bike to learn stunts on to me... Again do as you wish but think b4 you do anything or buy gear that you are not going to wear or really need...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good call spyder.

I'm plannin on ridin the bike back and forth to work (50 min.) and for fun whenever I get the chance.

I haven't even ridden the bike yet :cry: cause it's too cold. I'm gettin the plastics and new gas tank painted (purple and magenta don't really do it for me) So, I figured while I has it all apart I'd look at puttin the new exhaust on.

Probably should ride it first, and see how it loves me.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
michiganarft11 said:
Good call spyder.

I'm plannin on ridin the bike back and forth to work (50 min.) and for fun whenever I get the chance.

I haven't even ridden the bike yet :cry: cause it's too cold. I'm gettin the plastics and new gas tank painted (purple and magenta don't really do it for me) So, I figured while I has it all apart I'd look at puttin the new exhaust on.

Probably should ride it first, and see how it loves me.

Thanks

Man has it been way too cold to do anything.. I do not even want to go out of my house these days... But, back on the subject I think that if you are going to be riding this for any fun at all I think you should get an exhaust and jet kit first.. You will notice a HUGE difference in the way that the bike rides... My first bike was a 92 zx6E and I had a Muzzy exhaust and a jet kit on it, man I love that little bike... Most people would call me crazy but I have said this b4 I think that everyone should start off on a 6 cuz if you get anything smaller you are only going to want to get rid of it the following year... You will not get what you paid or even what you want back for the bike and then you have to buy a new one... Hmm anyway, good luck with it I know you will be fine doing whatever you decide to do on the 6

·
Registered
302 Posts
You must be crazy to say everyone should start off on a 600. If you've never wrecked, dropped, or anything like that with a 600 as your first bike then you are either a liar or the person I've ever heard of that has done it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
nathan600r said:
You must be crazy to say everyone should start off on a 600. If you've never wrecked, dropped, or anything like that with a 600 as your first bike then you are either a liar or the person I've ever heard of that has done it.
I never said that I never dropped my bike... But, I also never told you that I grew up on DirtBikes too.. My very fisrt bike was a CR60 then I moved to a KX80 and yes to a KX125.... So I guess I have had expeirence with bikes B4 I bought my so called first sportbike.. Look its a fact of life that if you ride hard and try certain things you are going to drop the dike.. I have never dropped it hitting anyone or crashing like that... I have only dropped it doing STUPID THINGS...Not everyone "new" is going to drop there dike... It all depends on how you ride it... I think that if someone gets a 500r they would just want to sell it in a few months for More Power... Thats all I am trying to say....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a 500. No offense to any 500 owners. I tend to be the more crazy/stupid type that likes to mess around. The 600 scares me, and for that reason I'll ride it, but not play around. I would be too tempted to play on a 500. I know there's people out there like me too. I grew up riding my Dad's 500 around in the back yard, so now that I got a bike I think I can handle the step up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi fellas, I just found this site and I like it, my kind of people.

Just bough an 1987 Ninja 750 R and I am taking every opertunity to ride the sucker.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts