Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a broken front axleshft on my 3010 4x4 mule just need some help getting it out. Do I need to drop the lower control arm along with the strut, or remove the lower ball joint. I 'm not sure how the thing comes out, HELP. Anyone know how it comes out with taking half the mule apart.
thanks,
riproaringron

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would wait for the manual to arrive. The process is not particularly difficult, but you need to follow the steps outlined in the manual to avoid putting yourself in a bind and ending up losing parts in the process.

This is a case of plan for the worst, hope for the best, and it always turns out somewhere between.

Time is not being lost waiting for the manual to arrive, as you will need to pick up some PB Blaster and soak all the bolts and the front brake hub spline for a few days before you attempt to pull everything apart.

When I tackle one, I allow four days of setting time for the oil to do its work if there is rust and mud/dirt present. Then I only replace parts that are worn, not the ones that will get broken or dinged taking one apart when things are stuck.

If you are careful, and after the front brake hub is removed, you may be able to pull the retainer ring on the inside of the axle where it abuts the bearing in the steering knuckle, you can slide the axle out toward the hub side, drop out the differential connection, and then pull it out of the steering knuckle without removing the steering knuckle. That is the ideal, and it almost never happens.

It is best to just plan on pulling the entire knuckle assembly if there is any dirt or rust on any of the components at all. It will save you hours of fooling around trying to wrestle with stubborn parts that will come right off once the entire assembly is on the bench.

Figure on spraying both the upper bolt that connects the steering knuckle to the strut, the inside of the axle where it abuts the steering knuckle bearing, and the base of the strut and letting that oil set a while to work out any rust. Then spray the lower ball joint nut and the union where the ball joint shaft extends through the lower A frame. That also needs to set a couple of days if there is any rust at all.

If it is necessary to remove the lower ball joint do not use a picklefork, that will trash the ball joint. Use the opposing hammer approach and whack the lower A frame where the casting holds the tapered bolt, with enough oil and time the lower ball joint bolt will pop right out. Or, use a hydraulic ram with a driver made for the purpose, but only after the oil as worked a while.

Do not rush anything, the internal splines in the front differential will take a bit of patience both extracting and reinstalling the shaft if it has been some time since it was last serviced, and rushing will run the bill up several hundred dollars if you chip one of the internal splined parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.