Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
70 degrees today, nice! So i took out my 82 750 Spectre for a ride. The front brake lever was loose as usual (since the one time I dropped it trying to put it on the center stand on an incline) well I rode for twenty minutes and parked it for 2 hours. When I went back out the brake lever was no longer loose and the front brake was sort of locked up, not too bad though. What could cause this? My brake fluid level is perfect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like the brake fluid pressure is high for some reason. But I dont think I should bleed it, should I?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
How was it "loose" before? Is it and up/down movement like it's flopping on the hinge bolt or an in/out movement. Is the front brake locked now or will the front tire roll? By locked up, do you mean you can't pull the brake lever in?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was loose as in it would have wiggle room in and out but this would not engage the brakes, now it moves in and out less before it engages. It is locked up so that when I try to roll the bike I get resistence but it is not so bad that it wont move at all. I can still engage the brake further but it is harder to squeez the lever in then normal.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
It sounds like you have some damage or problems with the master cylinder at minimum and possibly problems with the caliper as well. If it were me, I'd dismantle both and clean and inspect both the MC and the caliper and rebuild where needed. Caliper lockup could be from several causes like dirt/trash inside the caliper binding the piston, a brake line doing an imitation of a check valve, or the return hole in the MC clogged.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd suggest the fluid be changed as brake fluid will absorb moisture and become unusable. Inspect the master cylinder and look for two small holes in the bottom. If they are clogged the fluid will have no where to go and will build up pressure when the fluid gets hot applying the brake(s). A toothpick can be used to open up the clogs.

Using a pressure bleeder or a Mighty-Vac hand operated vacuum system can speed this chore. Look at getting some brake bleeder fittings with built in check valves.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, you caught me - I did have this problem before but it disappeared, I never really did anything. I think it has to do with the temperature as it seems to occur when its warmer out (like today) - because I had been riding with no problems the last couple weeks and it was cooler. I wanted to re-ask to get a less cluttered thread and better describe the problem as I had gotten somewhat confused this spring. As it is I will dismantle and clean the system sometime this winter. I suspect the problems MFolks and StarGate pointed out and I will investigate them.

Thanks all for the responses. And thanks sfair for your suggestions in back in May, I do appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts