Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Vulcan 800 with 115 miles on it. The front brakes squeel at times when stopping. Is this normal, a break in period. First bike, I am a newbie.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
How bads it squeaking? Mine doe's it sometimesjust towards slowing down to stop . I don't hear it when I'm going fast an hit the brake but that doesn't mean it's not doing It. I'm going to take it apart this winter an check the pad's ,but I don't think thats the problem. I read about a fix but I'll have to do some looking for it because I don't remember where I saw it , but It's got something to do with puting something between the caliper an break pad I will keep you updated. Just for your information my wife's 500 does it also. Don't sweat it to much just go out an ride , mine's been doing it for the last 12,000 miles or so an it hasn't effected the braking in anyway. Maybe someone else on the forum will have a better idea of fix. Now that you reminded me of it I might take a look this weekend being it gonna rain an snow all weekend.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It may be nothing more than a glaze on the pads. You can remove the pads and take some 000 sandpaper & take just a few swipes across each pad to break the glaze.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Hot shoe that's what I was thinking also, but he said he only has 115 miles, an he would have to be riding the brake pretty hard to glaze that quick wouldn't he? anyone

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I just had new front brakes put on my Vulcan 800. I get a small whining sound when I apply the front brake, and my mechanic told me that was normal. The brakes are new and work great, so I'm not worried about the sound anymore. The front brake was making that sound *before* I had the brake work done, BTW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you talking about the buzz that sounds like a transformer up on a telephone/electric pole? If so, my dealership told me that all Kawasaki's that have vented rotors have this noise to some degree. My '04 500 LTD didn't start making the noise until ~200 miles. I now have 700 miles and its about 1/2 as loud.

Per the dealer... you can chamfer the pads or the holes in the rotor to eliminate the noise. I cut an angle on my pads with a dremel, but it didn't change anything. There are way to many holes in the rotor to try that method.

Good luck... Since it isn't a safety thing, I'm just ignoring the sound and hoping it goes away eventually.

Brian

P.S. Once I hit 20 MPH (decelerating), the noise stops on my bike. Does it do the same on yours?

P.S.S. I'll try the sandpaper method this weekend, but I'm not too hopeful. I've looked and cleaned the pads with no change, plus I'd expect the vent holes to keep the pads from glazing. Maybe not, though.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

both my kawis have minor brake noise from the front - i consider it normal
8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake Squeel

I had a squeel from the rears of my 04 marauder1600at 500 mi
I removed the rear caliper/pads and applied a light coating of
Permatex ultra disc brake caliper lube to the back of the pads.
I haven't heard a peep since and im at 3500 mi now!
I've used this stuff in the automotive feild for years with great sucsess
It can be found at automotive parts stores.
hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
TEch thats the stuff I mentioned before ,about something you put between the pad an caliper, but couldn't remember,thanks for puting a name to it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does E B C make brake pads for the meanie?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Squeak!

I have a new 500LTD and the front break also squeaks like crazy.
I have even started using mostly back brake ( I know bad, bad, bad)....but as a funny side note, when i was 17 i had and OLD 70's Honda 350 and the front break on that thing NEVER worked...sometimes i felt like Fred Flintstone with my heels dragging to stop....man, it's a wonder i made it past my 20's....
Anyway, my front break squeaks too.
:wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got 2500 miles on my '04 Vulcan 500. The brakes squeak very loudly when I apply them gently like a normal stop. If I grab a handful like an emergancy stop they don't squeak. It's done it since it was new.

If you find a cure, let me know!

Fatcat

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 04 500 LTD front brake squealed when it was brand new and someone on this forum suggested several "hard" stops using the front brake only (do this in a big, empty parking lot). I got to 40-50 and stopped as quickly as possible using only the front brake. It has for the most part stopped the squealing...It still does occasionally but it's no big thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts