Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to take off the front fender on my 2003 500r, but wasn't having much luck. Do you have to take off the wheel? Or am I just doing something wrong? I'm removing it because there's a small crack that i need to patch up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Gotta take the wheel off to get the front fender off. I tried to do it too w/o taking the front wheel off and its a no-go. Once you get the front wheel off its quite easy.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump...
.... another question also. what is the oldest year of parts that will fit on my 2003? like, would parts from a 2000 fit mine?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tobydawg said:
I was trying to take off the front fender on my 2003 500r, but wasn't having much luck. Do you have to take off the wheel? Or am I just doing something wrong? I'm removing it because there's a small crack that i need to patch up.

Thanks!
I just painted my 04 500R and was having the same problem. I played with it for a while and finally found the right way to twist it off....although the paint got scratched. I didn't care seeing how i was sanding it down and painting it anyway. Putting it back in without taking the tire off was the tricky part. I took a rather thin blanket and put one piece on either side of the fork and popped it in....no sctatches and right back in. You do have to flex it so make sure not to crack the plastic or the paint....hope I helped.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the fender already has a small crack in it...that's why i'm taking it off. if it's easy to take off the whole wheel, i'll probably just do that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just fixing it....any suggestions on what to patch the crack with??

btw...was able to get the fender off last night.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If the crack goes all the way through, you can reinforce it with fiberglass. on the bottom side and fill in the crack with bondo or something to create a smooth paintable surface. Go to autozone or advanced auto and look in the body repair section. Try to find something that says it is somewhat flexable so that it doesnt crack apart when you put it back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do you get the wheel off? do you need a 1/2" key to take the axle out or does it just come out by itself somehow after loosening the locking screws?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just took a craftsman 3/8 extension and slapped it with a rubber mallet to get mine out. Two strikes and done. Should come fairly easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts