Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope you are not getting tired of me and my poor mechanical skills. Fortunately I have two other bikes to ride so I am not grounded.
Ok, KZ1100B from 82. On the 700 km ride home after I brought this bike I was not happy with the front end. I checked all the normal things and decided to service the forks when I found they were leaking air when I tried to pressurise them.

This was my previous thread..
(Kawasaki GPz1100 or KZ1100 b or whatever you want to call it from 1982! I am re-assembling the front forks and am not sure how much oil to put in. My book says; "with forks compressed and without the springs in I should fill the tube up till 120mm from the top. This level covers up the hole for the air pressure inlet and is much higher than the amount of oil that was in the forks when I opened them. So I ask you who know much, what is the best plan? How much oil should I put in????)

This was the answer..
"Yes, for this purpose. The FSM states 322+/-4cc for the KZ1100B2 aka 1982 GPz1100. This amount assumes you have disassembled the forks and reassembled and they are completely dry."

And that is how much I put in. The forks are now far too stiff and hard and I worry about blowing the oil seals.
Too much oil? Or what does anyone think?
What is the correct grade?
One of the springs is 1cm shorter that the other. How much of a problem is this and should the flat end go up or down?
Help, I wanna go fast!
Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
310 Posts
That is the correct amount of oil...as I have used that for my bike (1982 KZ1100B2 aka GPz1100). Do you have the stock front end?...it shouldn't be as stiff as you suggest...certainly the springs being different lengths is troublesome...are you sure you reassembled the forks correctly? Oil is SAE 10W20.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought, when I put the main nut that holds the springs down on, they go quite far into the barrel of the fork. Can that increase the air pressure too much? I didnt think to bleed it afterwards.
When I opened the forks I took the bottom bolt that holds the damper rod off, pulled the fork appart, cleaned it without dissassembling it further, replaced the seals and reassembled it. Could there have been some oil left in the damper rod perhaps?? I dont think so as they were out for a few weeks.
Hmm, I hate it when things dont go as they should ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have reassembled them now and fornd that for some reason when I inverted the springs the shocks felt normal. So it is time to ride The Piglet again!
Thanks for all the help.
Mike
~;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts