Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Vulcan Classic 1500E. Lately I noticed a vibration/squeak when making turns while braking. With the bike standing still I get a noise when turning the bars.

Looking at it closer the left front fork tube is sticking up 7/16" above the upper fork bridge? The right one is flush. Upper and lower bridge bolts are tight.

My question is can I just loosen the upper and lower bridge bolts and adjust it flush, or do I have to disassemble everything like it says to replace the fork?

Thanks for any help.

Grunt

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
thats pretty crazy. you can probably just loosen the side that is higher and wiggle/pull/push/coherse the fork back down where it needs to be. (ONLY THE SIDE THAT IS HIGHER)
if you loosen both sides you will have other problems. if needed you can put a jack under the frame and get some of the weight off the front end.
i would make sure you TORQUE the bolts to spec. the fork SHOULD NOT HAVE MOVED.
im betting your handling improves a bit (as much as it can for a cruiser :roll: )

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks QKENUF4U

Your advice was very helpful and it only took about 15 mins. to make the repair.

Now the mystery as why this happened??

I bought the bike in June. It is a 98 Vulcan Classic with 6,700 miles and the owner took very good care of it. He put every piece of chrome on it including chrome front fork covers. When I loosened the upper bridge bolt it turned about 1 turn then froze. Chrome bolts and alumunum bridge do not mix. I was afraid to turn the bolt more as it could break or damage the threads on the bridge. Looks like the chrome came off the threads or corroded the aluminum.

Will keep an eye on it and add replacing all the chrome bolts to my winter storage list.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
grunt said:
Thanks QKENUF4U -not a problem your welcome

Your advice was very helpful and it only took about 15 mins. to make the repair. -cool, glad it worked out for ya

Now the mystery as why this happened?? -im sure you already figured that out by writing what you did below. the prev. owner prob. loosened all the triple bolts on that side , fork slid up and he never noticed.

I bought the bike in June. It is a 98 Vulcan Classic with 6,700 miles and the owner took very good care of it. He put every piece of chrome on it including chrome front fork covers. When I loosened the upper bridge bolt it turned about 1 turn then froze. Chrome bolts and alumunum bridge do not mix. I was afraid to turn the bolt more as it could break or damage the threads on the bridge. Looks like the chrome came off the threads or corroded the aluminum. -you can put the chrome bolts back in just put ANIT-SEIZE ON THEM

Will keep an eye on it and add replacing all the chrome bolts to my winter storage list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts