Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 G3TR and ever since I owned it back in 1977 the front forks barely worked. I just started restoring the bike so I changed the fork oil and even went to 20W weight even though it calls for 10W.
The front end will bottom out at the slightest bump. It is almost as if there was no oil at all in the forks.
Only one seal appears to leak and not badly. I added to correct amount of oil and even added another capful after noticing that they still didn't work right.
I can replace the springs but frankly I can't see how the tiny springs on this bike would be the problem. Check out the pic below and you will see that the rubber boots that are supposed to cover the springs do not appear to be long enough to cover them. These are the original boots so I am wondering if somehow the forks are extended because of internal damage of some sort. These boots never covered the springs and the forks never provided suspension. What could be the problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
As i always do i'll apologise beforehand for having no specific knowledge of this model so it's all guesswork :)

Two ideas, one dafter than the other :)

The daft one,the top-bolts through the top-yoke have failed and the yoke pinch-bolts aren't man enough, so the whole lot is free to move up and down through the springs inside the shroud negating any suspension action. This is such a stupid idea it means the whole lot would fall out if you popped a wheelie and there'd be oil all over the shop
so very unlikely :oops: :shock:

More sensible, but still wrong 'appen not knowing the internal-workings of the forks is that whatever controls and limits the slider action along the stanchion
has let go allowing the slider to drop too far which also allows over-extension of the spring (so gaiters don't fit). The picture appears to show that a fairly thick bush/guide would be needed, maybe these have failed.

If there is a bolt through the bottom of the slider attached to some form of damper-assembly then these might have failed but i doubt them forks have damper set-ups :confused:

Sorry, 'tis baffling that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts