Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
New and Learning
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replaceing chain and sprockets on 78 kz650(b2a) The new front sprocket does not have a hole for the washer tab to "lock" in the nut (the washer has a tab cut out and bent and you fold the other part over nut). My ? is can I just use a thin lock washer to keep the nut tight? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does the washer have teeth on the inside to engage with the splines on the output shaft? If so, you don't need the tabs. Just engage the washer, install the nut and bend the washer in two places around the nut.

If your setup doesn't use a splined output shaft and a washer with teeth, you could probably drill holes for the tabs and be fine, but I'd say it was the wrong sprocket.

·
New and Learning
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got the sprocet from z1 enterprize he said they dont put the hole in it anymore, but no on the teeth on washer- just a tab/notch cut out and bent down that goes in a small hole in sprocet then the washer gets bent upto hold nut in place.

·
New and Learning
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, I did call him,(think it was the owner,seams like he answers all the lines) he said the same as every one else clean the nut and treads on shaft use blue loctite and forget about it, so I will put it on but not sure if I can "forget about it".

·
Registered
251 Posts
The splined washers won't have a tab. You just bend the sides over the nut after torquing. They are out there but I forget where I got my last one.

Locktite (red is the strongest but might be difficult to break free later) will probably work okay if you get the nut and shaft threads clean! Acetone should get all the grease/oil out of the threads. Torque the nut to the right value!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts