Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my front tire is cupping and I don't really know why. It's fairly new and as a matter of fact the original tire did the same thing.I had the tire replaced and balanced and the new one is also cupping. I have checked the front end for play and there isn't any ?/ Any ideas as to what the solution is ?

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Usually cupping is from underinflation.
+1 The psi that "kawasaki" tends to recommend for it's cruisers' tires tend to actually be a lower psi than what is best for tire life and performance. The reason is that they recommend a lower pressure that provides a 'cushy' ride, but that actually hinders tire performance and tire life, and causes issues like cupping.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
You (if yer a cruiser) should probly be around 38-40 psi. You may still get some cupping but it will minimize it. It is caused by the fact that the front edge of a tire tread block (think one section of the raised part of tread) experiences different pressure and abrasion than does the trailing edge of that same block. Has to do with the way the wieght loads and unloads onto the small sections of the tire as they hit the road. Way to much physics involved for my chemist mind to put together a great explanation but there are some folks on here who can. Regardless higher tire pressure helps the situation by holding the individual blocks more ridgidly so they cant "squirm" as much when hitting the road.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Soft fork springs cause cupping too. On my first front tire cupping became very noticeable at 4000 miles. I installed Race Tech springs with the spring rate for my ride weight (weight of bike plus rider). Cupping not only stopped but actual started to get less. I now have 7000 on my second front tire and I can not see any noticeable cupping.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing on my stocker Battlax (@ 40PIS). I've read, somewhere, that going from a radial to a bias on a V2K virtually eliminates cupping. If your bike isn't a V2K this might not apply, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Air presure and tire balance!

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Yep, my local dealer said the same thing when my previous tire started cupping. Usually caused by been under inflation.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
With my fat a$$ on that bike we're well over 1/2 ton, so that probably doesn't help (that and a crappy tire).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks fellows I will look at the pressures as I think I run it at the factory specks as a matter of fact will adjust accordingly. Thanks for the reply' s .....

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing on my stocker Battlax (@ 40PIS). I've read, somewhere, that going from a radial to a bias on a V2K virtually eliminates cupping. If your bike isn't a V2K this might not apply, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Hey Chris, I ran 2 Metz 880 fronts thru my baby. No cupping at max psi. Hindsight being 20/20 that battlax was a bad choice for the monster IMO

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I was thinking a Metz rear running backwards in front for my replacement.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
I was thinking a Metz rear running backwards in front for my replacement.
That's what I have and I'm not enjoying it. You can actually feel the bumps from the deep tread. On the other hand I believe I will get better than 1 season from it, 5000kms and no sign of wear, so that's kinda good news.

It's Mr. Clean or Lattimer that are running Pirelli Rear on Front. The tread doesn't spend as much time running across as with the tire. I think there is a dunlop to be used for RoF application too, again not alot of tread going crosswise. I'm not far away, if you are "in the neighbourhood" this season I'd let you try the Metz before you decide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts