Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen all kinds of stuff around here on what guys are using to replace back tires, what about the front? Mine's starting to get a bit thin...

Thx.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I have a Custom and switched to the Metzler and am happy with it. I have about 15K on my front and looks to get another 4-5K out of it.

Front tires should be replaced prior to 1mm of tread left.
Rear tires should be replaced prior to 3mm (80mph +) or 2mm (< 80mph).

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I've seen all kinds of stuff around here on what guys are using to replace back tires, what about the front? Mine's starting to get a bit thin...

Thx.
130/90-16 Pirelli Rear tire running backwards on the front. When you run a back on the rear you need to reverse the direction of rotation.

More tread, lasts longer. Handles pretty good so far.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
130/90-16 Pirelli Rear tire running backwards on the front. When you run a back on the rear you need to reverse the direction of rotation.

More tread, lasts longer. Handles pretty good so far.
For my own edification, why do you reverse the rotational orientation?

·
IBA#34418
6,329 Posts

Thx.
I have been real happy with the ME800's. Been getting around 14K outta the rears and got 24K on the front before I changed it. Probably could have gotten another 2K out of it had I pushed it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
For my own edification, why do you reverse the rotational orientation?
Because you're supposed to.

It's the way the tire and the tread on the tire are constructed for the loads intended. Rear tires accelerate, front Decelerate, the loads are backwards the tread is backwards so the tire is run backwards. It's on the Metzler site but most of the other tire manuacturers tell you to only run a front on the front and a rear on the rear. Soon as they got hip to people using the rear up front from the get go instead of stop gap. I believe, but don't know which, there are some rear and front tire designs that differ in profile and such but the MT 66 isn't one of them. The rear matches the front with the exception of depth.

Just got the call from my dealer. Got the Car tire mounted on my spare rim. FLVULCAN???? Bout to FINALLY use that rim.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Historically the front tire should last through two rears. Thanks for the info on tire tread rotation to use a rear on the front and get better mileage. Might just have to try it. A bit scared though.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
heres me and my little guy. this is what i had before i changed tires. ribbed avon 3.00 x 21. essential chopper equipment. they kinda run out of tread quick tho. especially ridin almost everyday. great handlin tire that looks cool as hell, but i wouldnt recomend if ur lookin to get alot of miles outta a tire.

then switched to something similiar to this. this one is actually on alley rats bike and its also 3.00 x 21. tons of tread. the tire im runnin is a 2.75 x 21. just didnt have a pic of it on my bike. supreme knobby goodness.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Historically the front tire should last through two rears. Thanks for the info on tire tread rotation to use a rear on the front and get better mileage. Might just have to try it. A bit scared though.
+1. Sounds interesting. I can't get my local motorcycle shop to mount a car tire on the back so I don't know that they'll do this either. Perhaps I need to snoop around some more for someone that will.

Mr Clean - do you have a pic of your front wheel to share?

Thx...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Around here, all the cool HD people are running a front tire that's about 2 inches wide on what seems like a 24 inch wheel with 583 spokes, tucked up in a standard wide front fender....................at least that seems to be the standard at the local In-N-Out. When I pull up in my old metric, they look at me like I just ripped a big oune during the Sunday sermon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.